SideSlide Change Log
· SideSlide Home
v3.9.00 - September, 15, 2017
New and Changes
- New menu option, "Lock Size/Position", added to the Position menu: Selecting this option will lock the workspace position and size and you will not be able to move it via the titlebar or resize it.
This is especially useful when undocking the workspace with the finger while working in tablet mode.
- Scroll RSS containers with your finger (on touch enabled devices) or by dragging the mouse pointer over the news feed (besides of using the mouse wheel/scrollbar).
- Added a new "Darker" option when selecting a color for selected shortcuts based on the color of the shortcut's icon (from the Shortcut Mini-toolbar). There are now two options to choose from: Darker and Lighter.
- The menu options: Online Tour, Check for Updates, Backup and About are not located under the new Help sub-menu (Workspace right-click menu).
- Verify Shortcuts (Arrange menu command): Shortcuts with a custom existing icons are now considered to be valid.
Select custom icons to shortcuts on removable media and the Verify Shortcuts command will consider these to be valid even when the media is not present.
- Ctrl+C is now used to copy shortcuts to the clipboard and paste them in different containers/workspace (Ctrl+V or via the right click menu).
- Changed the keyboard command for creating new containers from Ctrl+C to Ctrl+T.
- Added shortcut parameters (if available) to the tooltip (when hovering over the shortcut with the mouse).
- The shortcut tooltip now displays the entire path to the file, including the file's name, and no longer shows the shortcut's label.
- The shortcut tooltip now shows more information in each line.
- Added "/backup" command line option to backup SideSlide settings into a zip file (located in SideSlide's settings folder). Use this command to automate SideSlide backup from within a scheduled task or a 3rd party backup software.
Suppress the 'backup complete' dialog by using the "/silent" command line parameter: "\...\SideSlide>SideSlide /backup /silent".
- Launching SideSlide with the question mark ("/?") command line parameter will now show the available commands and exit the program.
- Removed 'Shrink/Expand All' and 'Fold/Unfold All' Arrange menu options. Those were very old functions from before SideSlide v1 which probably aren't used by anyone anymore (I hope).
- Minor adjustment to the location of the container's Fold/Unfold button.
- New default toolbar buttons ("Modern").
- Other misc. minor changes.
- Detached containers disappeared when trying to attach them back to the workspace when the "Enable Fade-out" option was unselected.
- Container could accidently move when using the finger to shrink/expand them while the workspace was locked for editing.
- Fixed a problem that could have prevented exposing the workspace when it was docked to the bottom or the right side of the screen.
- Using Ctrl+V to paste files from different containers or the workspace instead of the right-click menu option could produce undesired results.
- Shortcut comment wasn't showing when hovering over the shortcut with the mouse.
v3.8.00 - February, 6, 2017
New and Changes
- New and Improved RSS functionality:
- Toggle highlighting of RSS search terms for each container ('Track Subjects').
- 'Recent Search Terms' is now called 'Subject Tracker' to better describe the functionality.
- Both headline and content are always searched (Descriptions/Headlines checkboxes removed).
- You can now track up to 20 different subjects.
- Add subjects to track from the new 'Add...' menu item. RSS search terms entered in the RSS Search dialog are also be added to the Subject Tracker list.
- The subject you're tracking now appears in front of the headline.
- RSS Settings menu items Article Tooltip, Built-in Viewer and Load on Startup options have been removed from the Settings dialog. Toggle 'Article tooltip' and 'Built-in viewer' for each RSS container and use the "/loadrss" command line option to download all headlines on startup.
- Keyboard Launcher: Create quick notes by entering 'n:' or 'note:' followed by text.
- You can now designate a container as a "Startup container" by naming a single container "#STARTUP" (the number sign followed by the word STARTUP in all caps). All of the shortcuts inside this container will be launched on program startup.
- When launching the program (SideSlide.exe) when it's already running from the same location, the workspace will undock/collapse. You can use this functionality to show/hide SideSlide using 3rd party tools (e.g. The Microsoft Surface Pen shortcut button or a special mouse button).
- You can now control the spacing between shortcuts for each container using the new container right click menu option: Arrange >> Double Line Spacing.
- The Double Line Spacing option has been moved from the Settings dialog to the Arrange menu (affects spacing between workspace shortcuts).
- The option to show or hide the thin border line when the workspace is collapsed has been moved from the Settings to the Appearance dialog above the border color selector.
- About dialog is now centered relative to the workspace.
- The Floating Toolbar has been removed (I'm not sure if anyone was using it and it wasn't really intuitive). Add new objects to the workspace using the right click menu.
- Display the Speed Launch list showing all the shortcuts selected for Speed Launch (launch using 1-9) using the '/' key (forward slash). You can still show this dialog using the '?' key (question mark), but this option might be disabled in future versions.
- Saving/backing-up when the workspace is unlocked for 10 seconds (to quickly reposition objects) will now lock the workspace before saving the settings file.
- Shortcuts to the user name (profile), pictures and documents folders are added to the workspace on new installations.
- The initial workspace position changed to the upper left part of the screen (as opposed to the center top) for new installations.
- Select colors for different objects (Appearance dialog) by clicking the labels and not just the color boxes.
- Settings dialog slightly reorganized.
- Removed previous years (2016 and down) from the Reminder dialog 'Year' selection list.
- Removed 'Faint Fadeout' from the Container effects list.
- Removed Settings option: Focus on Expand/Unfold. The 'Grab Focus' option determines whether the workspace grabs focus (for keyboard input) or not when undocked. By default, the workspace will only grab the focus when you click it or use the Global Hotkey. You can use the mouse wheel to scroll through RSS news feeds without grabbing the keyboard/mouse focus.
- New wallpaper (Bricks.jpg)
- Multiple misc. minor changes.
- Starting all shortcuts (by dbl-clicking the container icon, if the option was selected or from the container Shortcuts menu), wasn't working properly.
- Double-Clicking a container icon (when shrunk) could have triggered 'Start all shortcuts' even when the option wasn't selected.
- Using the keyboard launcher to open URLs that had the same name as a shortcut failed.
- The workspace could appear to be in focus when the keyboard input was still going to another window.
- RSS Search: Clicking a 'Recent Search Item' (now called 'Subject Tracker') to re-launch a search could sometimes fail.
- Fixed backup link under the About dialog.
- The Keyboard Launcher didn't reset back to its original state when clearing the textbox (Using Esc, backspace, etc).
- Other misc. fixes.
v3.7.00 - November, 25, 2016
New and Changes
- A new simple quick expression calcualtor, a part of the advanced Keyboard Launcher.
Press the equal (=) sign key when the workspace is in focus followed by an expression. You can use *, /, +, - and parenthesis ()
Example: =(((1000/2)-(50*3)) / 1000) * 25 + 8.25
* You can use the Global Hotkey to undock the workspace and start using the calculator by pressing the equal (=) sign key.
- Backup: Select the new workspace right-click menu item "Backup" to create a zip file containing SideSlide's settings.
-- Keep this file in a safe location in case you need to restore the program to a previous state.
- Added 'Copy path' option for shortcuts to copy the full shortcut path the clipboard.
- Other misc. minor changes and fixes.
v3.6.00 - March, 28, 2016
New and Changes
- Recent Shortcuts right-click menu: The new submenu (under New in the main worskapce menu) keeps track of the last shortcuts/commands that you launch and allows you to quickly relaunch them in the future.
This feature is useful to quickly reopen previously running programs after you restart your computer.
- The dialog that allows you to choose whether to restore the workspace or not when SideSlide wasn't properly closed (Windows crash, etc) was removed. The workspace will be automatically restored to its most recent state.
- New keyboard shortcut: [F7] to maximize/restore the workspace. You can keep containers, shortcuts, pictures and notes in the maximize state and quickly access them when needed. You can also double-click the title-bar to maxmize the workspace.
Use Ctrl+Tab to navigate worskpace wide tags.
- Quickly open all shortcuts that share the same tag via the Keyboard Launcher: Enter "tag:" or "t:" followed by the tag name.
For example, add the tag "browsers" to all of the installed web browsers and enter: "t:browsers" to open all of them at once.
Remember that you can also right click a shortcut and select "Tag Start", or select the "Tag Start" check-box from the Shortcut Properties dialog.
- Added backup information to the About dialog.
- New Reloader dialog style (Settings dialog [F3] >> Ignore Changes [F4]) with the ability to close the dialog before SideSlide restarts.
- Press [Alt]+[Space] to show the Dock menu (where you can change the position of the workspace, maximize it, etc).
- The message that the Global Hotkey (Win+S by default) could not be registered will no longer appear on new installations.
- Other misc. minor changes.
- Shortcut icons failed to refresh when applying new container colors via the Appearance dialog.
- The ampersand symbol (&) wasn't showing in the Keyboard Launcher dialog.
- The shortcut mini-toolbar remained open after deleting shortcuts when the Delete Confirmation option was unchecked.
- Fixed instances wheh a Picture moved when double-clicking to open.
- Fix for resizing pictures.
- Other misc. minor fixes.
v3.5.65 - February, 10, 2016
New and Changes
- Container note last modification time is now indicated when hovering over the container's name or icon (when shrunk) with the mouse.
- Shortcut path is no longer converted into lower-case.
- Clicking shortcuts when sideslide workspace is locked wasn't working properly on windows 10.
- Clicking the tray icon when the workspace is maximized shifted the workspace to the right.
- Crush when dragging shortcuts to the workspace from the Windows 10 start menu.
v3.5.60 - January, 05, 2015
New and Changes
- New Speed Launch dialog: Invoke the workspace with the Global Hotkey and click 1-9 to quickly launch shortcuts.
Display the Speed Launch dialog by pressing the question mark key (?) or clicking the new Speed Launch menu item from the workspace right-click menu.
You can now also click and launch the shortcuts displayed in the Speed Launch dialog with the mouse.
- Choose between solid or gradient workspace background fill and choose between darker or lighter gradient.
- Shortcut Comment: A new field under the Shortcut Properties dialog allows you to add comments to various workspace shortcuts so that you can remember
what they are meant for (the comment is visible when hovering over the shortcut icons). Thanks to Onig|Gino for the idea!
- Target and Parameters fields in the Shortcut Properties dialog are now multi-lined.
- Speed Launch entries can not be overwritten so that there no need to remove a Speed Launch number from a shortcut before you can assign it to a new one.
- New buttons for RSS news feed containers next to the [R] (Set all as read) button: [T] Toggle article tooltip and [B] Toggle built-in viewer.
- The 'Reset' button in the Shortcut Properties dialog is now located next to the shortcut style settings and clicking it won't close the dialog.
- Slightly modified icons when a shortcut's icon cannot be loaded (in case deleted or on a portable drive that isn't available).
- When selecting different icons to for 'folder shortcuts', the File Open dialog now opens up in the same folder (Shortcut Properties dialog >> Icon).
- Refresh Icons [F5] command now appears under the container's Right Click >> Arrange menu in addition to the workspace menu.
- When dragging shortcuts to a container when the container tag view is selected (showing only shortcuts that belong to a certain tag), the current tag wasn't always added to the new shortcuts.
- Problem that prevented switching to certain tags or listing tags in a container or the workspace Tag Menu when using similar tag names.
- The shortcut mini-toolbar occasionally disappeared when adding new shortcuts to the workspace or to various container by dragging them from the Windows Explorer.
- Portable installation fixes.
v3.5.44 - November, 24, 2014
New and Changes
- The Global HotKey section in the Settings dialog is highlighted when SideSlide can't register the HotKey (in case it is already in use by the system).
* Remember that you can use the Global HotKey to undock the workspace and then launch shortcuts with the keyboard.
- Changed RSS error headlines (when the feed can't be shown).
- Container colors are now shown in the Appearance dialog under the Preview pane.
- Right clicking a headline (RSS containers) and selecting Open on Website didn't work.
- Saving the workspace (F8) when there are no containers could have crashed the program.
v3.5.40 - June, 3, 2014
New and Changes
- New option to show a list of all shortcuts selected for Speed Launch (1-9) in case you forget which number launches a certain shortcut.
Press [Shift] + [?] when the workspace is in focus to see the Speed Launch list.
* Remember that you can use the Global Hotkey to undock the workspace.
- When saving the workspace (Right Click >> Save Workspace/F8) the confirmation dialog is no longer displayed and an 'explosion' effect is shown instead.
- The Start Selected button (Shortcut Mini-Toolbar) remains visible when the workspace is locked for editing.
- The current year was not automatically selected from the list when adding a reminder.
v3.5.35 - October, 1, 2013
New and Changes
- Nicer automatic label formatting when adding URL shortcuts to top level domains ('http://', 'www.' and '.com' are stripped from the label | New >> Web URL).
- Workspace titlebar is no longer displayed using bold font, and indicates (lighter color) whether the workspace is in focus or not.
- The Floating Toolbar (left click an empty space to quickly create different objects in the workspace) now appears slightly to the side of the mouse pointer and not directly below it.
- Connection Proxy setting is now taken directly from Internet Explorer ('Set Proxy' under the Setting Dialog has been removed).
- New 'File not found' icons
- Maximizing the workspace will no longer cover the Windows Taskbar area.
- New command under the Position menu: Maximize/Restore (the menu at the top right corner of workspace).
- The tooltip for shortcuts and containers is no longer displayed when the workspace is not in focus (use the Grab Focus option if you want to activate the workspace using the mouse without clicking it).
- Suspend Auto-Collapse setting is saved and restored when the program starts.
- RSS icon is not displayed on program startup when loading RSS containers unless the 'Load on Startup' option is selected.
- Pressing the [Esc] key will now firstly unselect containers and shortcuts then dock the workspace.
- Misc. minor changes.
- Number of selected shortcuts disappeared after refreshing RSS containers.
- Previously selected shortcut which was no longer selected was re-selected after shrinking back containers.
- Number of selected shortcuts remained visible after removing shortcuts.
- Number of selected shortcuts was not shown when dragging shortcuts to containers or links from Explorer.
- Impossible to create folder and note containers when using the "Draw to Create" setting.
- Fixed crash when trying to resize or move an invalid picture.
- Fixed a rare crash when exiting the program.
- Fixed high CPU usage on some machines when starting shortcuts from detached containers while the On Top setting is disabled (thanks Gervin!).
- Workspace collapsed after starting a shortcut and the Suspend Auto-Collapse option was checked.
- Workspace brought back into focus after launching a shortcut when undocked or the Suspend Auto-Collapse option was checked.
- Expanding a container when the Floating Toolbar was still visible could have prevented the workspace from collapsing properly.
- Wrong label displayed when editing RSS search terms.
- Workspace occasionally collapsed unintentionally when expanding containers.
- Keyboard didn't work in the workspace when there were shortcuts selected and the On Top setting was disabled.
- The Shortcut Mini-Toolbar remained visible after pressing Ctrl+U to unselect shortcuts.
v3.5.30 - September, 6, 2013
New and Changes
- Speed Launch: An even faster way to launch shortcuts. You can now select up to 9 shortcuts to launch using a single keystroke (1-9). Assign a number to quickly launch shortcuts from the Shortcut Properties dialog next to the shortcut label.
- Spacebar Flip (Use the space-bar to scroll through and focus on shrank and folded containers): New option under the Settings dialog 'Selected'. You can now add individual containers to the Spacebar Flip order
(Right click a container >> Arrange >> Spacebar Flip). This is especially useful when using the Global Hotkey to invoke the workspace and the arrow keys to select shortcuts in different containers.
- A little bit more logical command order under the Container and the Detached Container right click menu:
There is now a new 'View' submenu which includes options related to the way a container is displayed in the workspace (Colors, Shrink Size, Hide Toolbar and more).
- Shortcut Mini-Toolbar now includes a new button Start Selected: Same as the right click menu option to start all selected shortcuts (this will ignore the Tag Start setting if it's enabled for one of the selected shortcuts).
- Added the Ctrl key to the list of available Global Hotkey options. For example, you can now select Ctrl+S to invoke the workspace using the keyboard.
- New option (disabled by default) under the Settings dialog, Center Mouse, will move the mouse cursor to the center of the workspace when invoked by moving the mouse to the edge the workspace is docked.
This can basically save you time but needs some time to get used to. If yo use this option, make sure to remove shortcuts from the center of the workspace so the tooltip won't popup every time you undock the workspace with the mouse.
- When dragging a shortcut icon and dropping it on top of another shortcut label, all selected shortcuts will be used as command line arguments. Example: Select multiple HTML files and drop them on top of a Notepad++ shortcut to open Notepad++ with the selected files.
- The number of selected shortcuts is now shown in the title-bar. This is particularly useful to know that you have selected shortcuts in shrunken containers.
- Container tooltip (Hovering over a container toolbar or icon) now includes the creation date in addition to the other info items when the container note is exposed.
- Pressing the Esc key or the Dock Now button (top right corner of the workspace) to dock the workspace will also shrink the recently expanded container. Remember: You can always right click the container's title
and select Keep Expanded.
- When double-clicking to unfold folded containers, they will fold back when you drag shortcuts between containers or expand other containers. Use the Keep Expanded container right-click menu option to keep the container unfolded.
- Other misc. minor changes.
- News feed headlines were not always fully visible when using a larger font size.
- Spacebar Flip was not working properly to scroll through folded and shrank containers in the workspace. Forward (Space) and backwards (Shift+Space).
- Problems with reselecting previously selected shortcuts in keyboard navigation when expanding containers.
- Other misc. minor fixes.
v3.5.18 - August, 23, 2013
New and Changes
- Added new 'Zoom in' and 'Zoom out' buttons to RSS containers to quickly adjust headlines' font size.
The buttons are located on the bottom right of the container next to the 'Set all as read' button.
- A new button under the Shortcut Properties dialog allows you to quickly open a Google search for the shortcut label.
- New setting, Article Tooltip, determines whether the tooltip with the first few lines of a news feed article is shown or not when hovering with the mouse over a headline or scrolling through headlines with the arrow keys.
This setting can be adjusted globally or individually for each RSS container.
You can also hold down the [Shift] key while hovering with the mouse over a headline in order to display the tooltip even if this option is unselected.
- A new option under the Settings dialog, Container options: Focus on Expand/Unfold (selected by default).
Focus on the container on expand/unfold so you can use the keyboard to launch shortcuts, scroll through headlines in RSS containers or enter text in note containers. With this option selected, the Grab Focus setting is redundant after expanding/unfolding a container.
- The Keyboard Launcher is no longer shown by default when invoking the workspace using the global hotkey (for new installations). Use the arrow keys to focus on shortcuts or press any key to show the Keyboard Launcher.
- Added a new menu item, Refresh Icons, to the main right-click menu under the Arrange sub-menu. This option reloads shortcut and container icons in case some of the files were not available when the program started. Pressing [Shift+F5] was always possible.
- Smoother switching between workspace tags (Ctrl+Tab or F7)
- Tooltip is unloaded when using the arrow keys to select shortcuts.
- When creating a new command the wrong tip was shown in the command edit field.
- Container remained selected after toggling the Built-in Viewer right-click menu option.
- On certain occasions, the arrow keys didn't work to scroll through RSS headlines in expanded containers.
- Shortcuts in the workspace are now reselected when invoking the workspace with the global hotkey and shrinking back containers. This helps in keeping the keyboard navigation order.
- Setting the colors for reminders displayed Note Foreground and Background colors which are irrelevant for reminders.
v3.5.16 - July, 04, 2013
New and Changes
- Added two new commands to the Shortcut Right-click menu:
* 'Override Parameters Field' to start the selected shortcut without any specified parameters (you can specify additional parameters to a shortcut via the Shortcut Properties dialog).
* 'Run as administrator...' (overrides the 'Administrator' setting for selected shortcuts).
- Use a container icon from a relative path (when SideSlide is running from a USB drive): Once you choose an icon for the container (Right-click a container and select 'Choose Icon...'), you will be given the option to use a relative path for the file the icon is taken from.
- The option to add RSS containers to the online library has been restored.
- Containers may not be properly restored to their original location on program start.
- A warning is shown when the selected Global Hotkey is already in use when the program starts (The Settings dialog will be loaded allowing you to select a different key combination).
v3.5.15 - March, 29, 2013
New and Changes
- Removed round corners: Thanks to Windows 8 for making rectangle windows cool again!
- RSS News feed containers: You can now select to open articles using the built-in viewer or your web browser individually for each container (Right click an RSS container; right-click everything!).
- Removed toolbar buttons 'Fold/Unfold' and 'Shrink/Expand' all containers. You can still use these commands from the menu and using the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + F1 / Ctrl + F2).
- Removed the built-in Bug Report dialog. Please email me directly if you want to report a bug or suggest a new feature.
- Added: 'Flip' submenu command under the Tags right-click menu (now also [F7] instead of the Bug Report dialog or the old shortcut, Ctrl+Tab) to scroll through workspace tags.
- Undocking was sometimes impossible using the mouse when the workspace was docked to the left.
- Fold/Unfold effect check box remained enabled after reopening the Settings dialog.
- The icon of a previously non-existing shortcut (unavailable when SideSlide was loaded) is re-drawn when the shortcut is launched (shortcuts on removable media).
- Fixed some problems affecting SideSlide completely disappearing due to the fadeout effect when running under Windows 8.
- Some other minor bugs were fixed.
v3.5.10 - January, 2, 2011
New and Changes
- Program restart is no longer required when changing the global hotkey.
- Added new key options to choose from for the Global Hotkey: Left arrow key, Right, Up and Down:
Left: [<] Right: [>] Up: [/] Down: [\]
For example, you can position the workspace in the upper corner of the screen and use [Alt+Down Arrow key] to invoke it.
- An error message is shown if the selected global hotkey could not be registered because it is already in use.
- Request for update sends the OS version besides the program version.
- Mouse wheel and some other functions did not work in the workspace when the global hotkey was disabled.
- Using the global hotkey when another program dialog is showing could have crashed the program.
- Resolving Windows shortcuts on 64-bit systems wasn't always working properly and the shortcut was added with the wrong path.
- Removed object/detached containers shadows on Windows XP.
I don't use Win XP anymore on a daily basis and solving the shadow glitches requires lots of extra motivation.
Bugs in the previous beta version:
- Launching certain shortcuts (such as Remote Desktop .RDP files) didn't work.
- Selecting and unselecting a container didn't restore the correct Tag Button color when a container was in Tag view mode.
- Bug in the bug report (pun intended) dialog: Sending empty bug reports is no longer possible. Clicking Send without entering text will simply close the dialog.
- Changing the workspace background color didn't properly render icons in shrunken containers.
- Drawing icons when switching shortcuts (dragging an icon on top of another icon) when one of the shortcuts is inside a shrunken container didn't render the icon properly.
- [Ctrl+Mouse Wheel] didn't work when trying to resize shortcuts.
v3.5.00b - December, 15, 2010
There are quite a bit of new features, fixes and changes in v3.5.00.
Make sure to read it all and take the tour.
Speed and Other Code Improvements
- Greatly improved application startup time.
- Shrunk and folded containers with multiple shortcuts are now expanded and unfolded much faster.
It's faster than the previous version regardless, but once you expand or unfold a container for the first time, the icons are cached for the next time, so it gets even faster.
- Settings are now applied quicker when there are no changes to the visual aspects of the program.
- Multiple operations (loading, launching, etc) related to shortcuts or folder containers that are on non-existing network shares are performed much faster.
- Changes in the ini file structure which means it's easier for me to add new features, but also that there is no longer upgrade to versions prior to v3.00.00a (but that's ok, no one is using the old versions anymore).
- Faster shortcut verification.
- Smoother slide-in effect on slower machines.
- Many more code optimizations.
Multiple GUI Changes and Improvements
- Much prettier visuals when moving/resizing containers/pictures and when selecting shortcut and containers.
* Note: When you select containers and move a single one of them while holding down the Ctrl key, all other selected containers will be repositioned as well.
- Shrinking/expanding, folding/unfolding:
Explode/Implode effects: Added animation to container expansion, contraction, folding and deletion.
If it makes SideSlide a little bit slower on your computer (it's much smoother on Windows 7/Vista), you can disable this feature from the Settings dialog, or select from the 4 different modes and see.
- Container size when shrunk:
Choose between 3 different sizes when containers are shrunk: Normal, Small and Tiny.
Set the 'Shrink Size' of individual containers from the right click menu (Arrange >> Shrink Size) or globally from the Settings dialog.
This new feature allows you to gain more space on the workspace, make it smaller in size and place containers next to each other without a space in between.
- Tooltips for various events now look much more modern.
Numerous adjustments and changes to the shortcut tooltips, container tooltip when folded, shrunk, fully visible and tooltips when hovering over detached RSS news feed headlines.
- Some of the theme files and wallpaper images have been updated and new themes, wallpapers, colors and buttons added.
- Much more sensible shortcut/object alignment.
- Added the ability set custom foreground and background colors to individual note and RSS containers.
- Change detached containers colors using the new detached container right click menu command.
- The choose color dialog for various objects is now initialized with the correct color (not really sure why it wasn't like that before).
- More quick colors to select from and a redesigned Select Color dialog.
- Notes in the workspace now have a vertical scrollbar (the same as when detached).
- The Z-order (what's on top and below) is now kept for both picture and containers.
- The shrink/expand, tag and various object colors is now changes according to the background color and are much easier to see.
- Container draw mode: Select whether a container is drawn in the workspace or is automatically created using a default size (this is now the default) using the new option under the Settings dialog.
- Resize font of notes and RSS news feed headlines in the workspace or in detached containers with the mouse wheel (hold down the Ctrl key).
- Set detached notes font size using the new right click menu command.
- Set workspace and detached RSS news feeds headline font size using the new right click menu command.
- Set the opacity level of the workspace when transparent using the new option from the Settings dialog.
- Set detached containers transparency using the new right click menu option. The opacity level is determined by setting in the Settings dialog.
- Gradient effect adjustments.
- Added indication when the container includes a note, but the note is hidden.
The indication is a square around the note button (at the right of the container toolbar).
- Settings/Appearance and the Shortcut Properties dialogs have been reorganized.
- Added shadows to various application windows/effects.
- There is now a thin border line between the container toolbar and the container itself (where the shortcuts are).
- The general font selected from the appearance dialog is now set for notes and not just news feeds and shortcuts.
- Container name label is shown using a smaller font.
- The Note button in the container toolbar is now slightly bigger.
- The shortcut mini-toolbar (quickly apply different style setting to selected shortcut) is now always accessible from any location.
- Shortcut icons are hidden when moving/dragging a shortcut by its label (shortcuts align according to the shortcut label).
- Selected containers are now surrounded with a wider, more visible, border.
- Shortcut columns are now non-symmetrical (the distance between each column is dependent on the longest shortcut in that column).
- Added an option to increase the line spacing between shortcuts when they are automatically arranged in columns (selecting shortcuts and dragging one of them by the label).
- Many more GUI enhancements...
- Keyboard Launcher
The Keyboard Launcher allows you to start any shortcut in the workspace with any custom parameters,
* Quickly browse through directories:
open websites and easily open directories by navigating the directory tree.
When using the keyboard to open folders (entering the folder name or drive letter and a backslash), you can use the down arrow key to quickly access all subfolders, the right arrow key to go to the next level in the directory tree and the left arrow key to go one level back.
* Launch shortcuts with custom parameters using the keyboard.
Enter the shortcut name, press the Right arrow key or Tab (to add a space) and jump to the end of the name, then enter any additional parameters required by the program (this overrides any parameters specified in the Shortcut Properties dialog).
Example: Add a new shortcut to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, type in "cmd" + + "/c dir /s"
* Added an option to show the Keyboard Launcher immediately when undocking the workspace using the global hotkey.
Tip: You can immediately browse through directories by pressing the backslash (\) key.
* There is now a dynamic info line underneath the shortcut/folder/URL that also provides indication when using the keyboard to browse through folders.
* Better search results.
- Arrow keys navigation: You can now select, launch and delete shortcuts using the arrow keys.
- Better keyboard support for detached containers:
Alt+F4 to close and delete the container, Alt+A to attach it back to the workspace, Alt+Left, Alt+Right, Alt+Up and Alt+Down arrow keys to dock.
- Picture Slideshow:
Pictures are now slideshow 'view ports'.
Every picture you add to the workspace can be turned into a slideshow that displays files from the same folder as the picture you add (up to 250 pictures, and JPG only at this time).
The slideshow will advance automatically every time you undock the workspace (this setting can be adjusted).
- Picture Previews:
When the mouse hovers over a picture file shortcut, a preview of the image will be shown.
You can also pin the picture shown in the preview to the workspace.
Disable the previews from the Settings dialog.
- Picture comments:
You can now add comments to pictures from the picture right-click menu.
The comment is visible when the mouse pointer hovers over a picture.
- Pictures from a relative path:
Load pictures from a relative path using the new picture right-click menu option 'Change to relative path'.
- Convert to shortcut:
Added an option to convert pictures into shortcuts to the picture files.
This is useful if you want to use the new Picture Preview option rather than having the pictures shown in the workspace.
- Drag pictures directly from the Windows Explorer into containers by dragging and dropping a picture file (jpg, bmp or gif) while holding down the Shift key.
- Add picture directly into containers using the New >> Picture container right click menu command.
- Added an Open command to the new picture slideshow right click menu.
- Removing pictures from the workspace requires confirmation if Delete Confirmation is selected.
RSS News Feeds
- Instead of the 'Clear recent list' command in the main RSS menu, you can now select Edit and delete individual search terms.
Remember that the search can be used to track certain subjects since whenever your refresh a news feed and a search term is found, the headline will be emphasized.
- Headline highlight:
When a headline is highlighted (one of the search terms was found in the title or description), the headline will remain emphasized even after clicking it to read or going over the news items with the mouse or keyboard.
- RSS Search is now using ieframe.dll (IE web component) with much easier to see search results that are dynamically emphasized-as-you-type.
- RSS Search works with detached RSS containers and not only news feeds in the workspace.
- You can now use the left and right arrow keys to scroll news feed containers when the headline is longer than the container width.
- News feed containers include notes like normal containers. Keep a note for each news feed.
- The container toolbar can now be hidden for RSS containers as well as for shortcut/note containers (Right click Hide Toolbar menu option).
- The RSS refresh button inside RSS containers is now located in the same place the container Tag selection button in shortcut containers is.
- When refreshing a single feed, its name now appears in the title bar.
- Reset RSS icon command now works for multiple selected RSS news feed containers.
- Changes to the way RSS headlines are emphasized.
- Clicking the RSS refresh button (the second button from the left in the RSS container toolbar) in a single RSS container, will refresh all selected RSS news feed containers (in the same way the Refresh menu command works).
- Ctrl + Enter and Ctrl + Click will open the article on the website even when using the built in viewer.
- Removed RSS containers headline right click menu option Create Note and Detach (you can still create notes from headlines and the notes will detach if the Detach Notes option is selected from the Settings dialog).
- The built-in viewer can now be loaded (F12) without refreshing a news feed first.
- Increased support for multiple RSS encodings (news feeds in languages other than English).
- Minor changes to the RSS viewer buttons layout.
Other New Features
- Highly improved workspace-wide tag view mode:
You can now flip through workspace wide tags using Ctrl+Tab.
To exit tag view, flip through the existing tags, press Ctrl+F5 or click the button at the top of the workspace that displays the current tag.
In addition to that, the option to show the tag asterisk symbol that appeared when hovering over a shortcut icon is now deprecated.
- Bug report:
You can now report bugs directly from within SideSlide and help making the next versions better.
The bug report dialog is accessible from the workspace right click menu and will also appear when the program was not properly closed.
The reporting is anonymous, but if you include your email it'll be much better so that we can work on the problem together.
- Spacebar Flip:
A new option under the Settings dialog allows you to decide which type of containers (notes & reminders, RSS news feeds or all) are exposed when using the spacebar to flip through the containers in the workspace.
- 'Start in folder', 'Run' and 'Administrator' properties for shortcuts:
The Shortcut Properties dialog now has two additional fields and one new checkbox that allow you to set the starting folder for each shortcut, initial window state (normal, maximized or minimized) and run the program as administrator.
For 'Start in folder', as with the Path and Icon parameters, you can also use a relative path by entering the @ symbol instead of the drive letter (e.g. @:\somefolder\).
- Containers are now recoverable if there is a system or program crash.
In addition to that, you can also use the 'Ignore changes' command from the Settings dialog to ignore all changes to the workspace AND containers and restore the last saved session.
- Keep above the task bar:
A new option under the Settings dialog allows you to keep SideSlide above the Windows taskbar.
Select this option if you want to activate the workspace or detached containers using the mouse and place them in the same location as the taskbar.
You can always undock and hide the workspace using the keyboard, regardless of its location.
- New button in detached containers toolbar allows you to quickly create new notes with the same color (in the same way it works in Windows Sticky Notes)
- Click icon to expand:
The new setting (enabled by default) allows you to select that containers will expand whenever you click the container icon (when shrunk).
- Convert to reminder/note:
Turn notes into reminders and reminders into notes using the new right-click menu command.
Switch the position of two containers using the new 'Switch' menu command under the container Arrange right click menu.
- Grab focus:
A new option under the Settings dialog allows you to make the workspace grab the focus whenever it's undocked.
This setting is useful when you are using the mouse to undock the workspace (as opposed to the global hotkey) but launching shortcuts with the keyboard.
- A list of all detached containers now appears in SideSlide's system-tray menu allowing you to easily undock and focus on detached containers.
- Automatically detach new notes:
A new option under the Settings dialog allows you to automatically detach note containers as soon as you add them to the workspace.
- Workspace and detached containers are kept on top of other windows by default when collapsed, but you can now disable this setting from the Settings dialog.
You can still access the workspace with the keyboard even when it's not on top of other windows, and focus on detached containers from the system-tray menu.
- New On Top menu option for detached containers determines if the detached container is kept on top of other windows or not (when undocked, and only enabled if the global 'on top' setting is).
- Keep containers expanded (when set to auto expand and shrink on mouse over) using the new container right click menu command 'Keep Expanded'.
This new menu command changes the previous behavior when containers remained expanded when you click the Shrink/Expand button once to expand another to shrink and once more to expand (confused yet?).
- Wallpaper from a relative path:
If you are using SideSlide from a USB drive, you can now check the new option under Settings >> Appearance to load the wallpaper from the same drive SideSlide is installed to.
- Added an option to show or hide the workspace in the Windows taskbar.
- Container online library now supports full text search and not just search by tags.
- Added option to check for new beta releases of SideSlide (this is enabled in beta version releases, such as this one).
- Rename detached containers using the new right click menu command.
- Added an option to open the Windows Explorer properties page for a shortcut from the Shortcut Properties dialog.
- Added a new menu command for SideSlide shortcuts that allows you to create Windows shortcuts (.lnk or .url) to the files, URLs or system commands, and place them on the Windows Desktop.
- When dragging Windows shortcuts (.lnk, .url) from the Windows Desktop to the workspace or to different containers, the Windows shortcuts will be moved to the recycle bin and SideSlide shortcuts will be created instead (you can disable this from the Settings dialog).
- Removed confirmation when setting colors to multiple containers. The number of selected containers now appears inside the color dialog.
- Containers will no longer automatically shrink once you select shortcuts or click inside the container.
This allows you to sort shortcuts more easily. The container will shrink back once you click the workspace or expand another container.
- There is now a maximum of 50 containers in the workspace. You can manually change this setting in the .ini file.
- Added indication when adding containers from the online library to the workspace.
- Pictures are now hidden when switching between tags in workspace wide and container tag views.
- Windows Menu keyboard button now works and displays the proper workspace, container or shortcut menu.
- Containers are now added to the workspace from the online library using the default size.
The size chosen for the container is set when the container is detached.
- You can now drag shortcuts with the right mouse button. This is particularly useful when dragging files from folder containers to the Windows Explorer.
- Added an option to suppress the startup (splash) dialog. Start SideSlide with '/nosplash' as the command line argument. Start SideSlide with /? for other command line options (more will be added in future releases).
- Installation now includes a portable option to install SideSlide directly to an external drive.
- Detached containers now follow the same undock settings as the workspace (the default is a short delay before the container undocks as long as the mouse stays in the same place).
- Undock on Click, Transparency and Fade Out options for new detached containers are initialized based on the same values selected for the workspace.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to the common tasks under the Settings dialog (F3-F6). E.g. press F3 twice to open the settings folder.
- The note font size menu command is only visible when the container note is visible.
- Pressing F2 allows you to rename containers when there are no shortcuts selected (when a shortcut is selected, the Shortcut Properties dialog is displayed).
- When adding a shortcut to a new container the container icon will be initialized from that file in the same way it works when dragging shortcuts to new containers.
- When removing or dragging out of the container the last shortcut, the container icon will reset to the default icon.
- Dbl-clicking an icon will start the shortcut.
- Right clicking a shortcut icon will show the shortcut menu (the same as when right clicking the name label).
- Shortcuts are now selected and the shortcut mini-toolbar is shown when new shortcuts are added using the right click menu.
- You can now switch shortcut locations (dragging a shortcut icon over another shortcut icon) even if the shortcuts are located in different containers or the workspace.
- When dragging shortcut icons on top of other shortcuts, a tooltip is shown that indicates that the shortcut will be launched with the one that is being dragged over it as a command line argument.
- When dragging a shortcut icon over another shortcut icon, a tooltip is shown that indicates that the shortcuts will switch places.
- Workspace background image is now disabled when choosing colors from the color list under the Appearance dialog.
- Detached containers are no longer on top by default when the container is floating.
- Dragging shortcuts/pictures over note containers, or adding items using the right click menu, will hide the note allowing you to place the shortcuts inside.
- Shortcuts selected inside containers are now unselected when shrinking or folding containers.
- The workspace now undocks when attaching detached containers.
- The workspace will exit tag view when loading the Settings/Appearance or Container Library dialogs.
- When clicking the workspace, the first click will unselect shortcuts and the second click will unselect containers.
- Mouse pointer is unchanged when it's over the shrink/expand button and containers are set to auto-expand.
- Click to Expand but Auto Shrink option deprecated. You can keep containers expanded using the new right click menu option Keep Expanded, or click inside the container to keep it open until clicking the workspace or expanding another container.
- The ability to delete items from the workspace with the Delete key while using the keyboard to launch shortcuts has been disabled (you can still delete shortcuts from the workspace using the keyboard, by using the arrow keys to navigate to the shortcut you want to remove).
- Dragging shortcuts to containers when the container is only showing shortcuts that belong to a certain tag, will add the tag to the shortcut without confirmation.
- Default maximum shortcut length is now longer.
- Detached container fade-out effect is initialized based on the special effect value selected for the workspace, but is no longer connected to it (in other words, you can disable special effects in the workspace but enable them in detached containers).
- Pasting files from the Windows Explorer didn't place the files in a proper location inside the container when the container was shrunk or folded.
- Shrinking a folded container could have positioned the container incorrectly.
- Selecting all shortcuts (Ctrl+A) affected container shortcuts even when the container was shrunk or folded.
- The workspace collapsed when hovering over the floating toolbar outside of the workspace area.
- Objects could have 'jumped' to different locations when using the menu to add items to the workspace.
- Problem with scheduling reminders for certain days of the month.
- Objects/detached containers tabs could have moved on click when clicking to select/open quickly.
- Dragging pictures to containers and moving them inside the workspace wasn�t working properly.
- Resizing the workspace is no longer possible to do from the sides the workspace is docked to.
- The program could have crashed when moving SideSlide between computers and the selected font doesn't exist on the target computer.
- Window update lock is now enforced when sorting shortcuts and changing container colors.
- Drag and drop shortcut icon over its own name label will now move the shortcut to the new location.
- Shortcuts could have sporadically move when the mouse button was clicked, but the click wasn't initiated when the mouse pointer was over the shortcut.
- Shortcut tooltip extension is now limited.
- Auto dock and undock didn't work properly when mouse was over SideSlide child windows.
- Font and size selections were saved even when clicking Cancel in the appearance dialog.
- The shortcut mini toolbar remained hidden when selecting and unselecting shortcuts using Ctrl+Mouse down.
- Dragging a selected shortcut by its icon and dropping it in the same container didn't re-arrange selected shortcuts.
- Container gradient effect was incorrectly initialized on certain events.
- Changing the global font didn't render shortcuts properly without restarting SideSlide.
- Workspace collapsed when loading another program dialog (library, settings, etc) after showing the floating toolbar without closing it first.
- Docking the workspace and detached containers to the left side of the screen didn't place the window properly.
- Objects can no longer be positioned above the workspace and containers� title bars.
- Shortcuts could be dragged and dropped behind the title bar.
- The wrong shortcut could have appeared in the Shortcut Properties dialog when there is an error launching a shortcut and it takes time for Windows to return the error (for example, inaccessible network shares).
- Changing fonts from the Appearance dialog made hidden shortcuts inside containers visible again (when showing shortcuts based on tag using the container tag selection button).
- Selecting shortcuts by clicking while the Ctrl button is down could have shown the shortcut mini-toolbar in the wrong location.
- Tab key didn't work in container notes.
- Failure to position pictures properly when one picture is missing.
- The floating toolbar appeared when drawing new containers in the workspace.
- When adding a new system command, the new command shortcut remained visible even if the operation was canceled.
- Right click menu didn't always show up when right clicking the Shrink/Expand button.
- Could not display location of shortcut to drives in tooltips.
- Arranging shortcuts in columns could have placed the last shortcut in the selected shortcuts group beyond the container width.
- Containers not always shrunk back or folded when dragging shortcuts out of the container and over different containers in the workspace.
- Pictures could have still be moved and resized even when the workspace is locked for editing.
- Containers didn't shrink when moving the mouse pointer over a picture or a different container name label.
- Shortcut and container unselection (Unselect All) were connected under certain circumstances.
- Underline wasn't removed when the mouse leaves the quick tool links under the Settings/Appearance dialog.
- When pasting files from the Windows Explorer to different containers, the shortcut font size was not initialized properly.
- Not all application dialogs unloaded when pressing the Esc key.
- RSS search functionality stopped working after deleting RSS containers.
- Loading the RSS viewer from the RSS menu could have crashed the program if there were no populated news feeds.
- Changing the global font didn't work in real time for RSS news feed containers.
- Could not resize RSS containers when the container size set to minimum and the news feed was populated.
- The RSS 'last update' time indicator was made visible inside shrunken RSS containers on startup.
- When refreshing selected RSS news feed containers, the number that is displayed in the title bar also included non RSS containers.
- Loading news feed on startup displayed the wrong number of feeds when some RSS news feeds are detached from the workspace.
- Opening a feed item in the built in viewer could have crashed the program if a news feed was previously deleted in the same session.
- Problem with feed items without URLs to the articles.
- Some fixes to the RSS Search functionality.
- Container right click menu is now disabled when news feeds are being refreshed.
- Detached notes and RSS containers colors didn't change when selecting new colors from the Appearance dialog.
- Using the Tag Start menu option to launch shortcuts from detached containers didn't work.
- Could not delete detached containers when the delete confirmation option was not selected.
- Dragging a detached container to a different screen corner when the container tab is showing, could have kept the tab in the same location.
- Detaching containers when only certain shortcuts are visible (when viewing shortcuts that share a tag) made all shortcuts visible again in the detached container.
- Detached containers could have stayed detached under certain circumstances right after attaching them back to the workspace.
- Attaching detached containers from the menu could have failed under certain scenarios.
- Dbl-clicking to unfold a container and then detaching it, made it visible again in the workspace.
- Bug when attaching containers back after shrinking a folded container and then detaching it from the workspace.
- Menu item Hide on Click was visible on detached note containers.
- Shortcut underlines remained visible even when the mouse pointer was moved out of the detached containers.
- Bug when deleting multiple tags at the same time from the Edit Tags dialog.
- Bug when switching to tag view when there are no containers in the workspace.
- Saving the workspace while in tag view mode made hidden containers visible again.
- Tag view indicator button didn't change colors when changing colors from the Appearance dialog.
- Clearing the workspace while in tag view mode didn't work correctly.
- Starting multiple shortcuts with Tag Start, didn't show the error message if one of the shortcuts was missing.
- Expanded containers were made visible again when switching to tag view (Ctrl+Tab) even when the container had no shortcuts that belong to the current tag.
- Note remained visible when flipping through workspace tags and the note container included shortcuts with the current tag.
- Using the menu to create new shortcuts inside containers when a container tag was selected did not add the tag to the new item.
- Clicking the Tag button on shrunken containers could have changed the container position when the container shrinks back.
- Problems flipping through different tags that share the same keywords.
- Keyboard navigation dialog was missing after clearing the workspace.
- The workspace collapsed and then undocked again when using the mouse to undock and the keyboard to launch a shortcut.
- Using the keyboard to launch shortcuts could have loaded the wrong shortcut when the shortcut name included the exact search string plus extra letters.
- Pressing the down arrow to scroll through workspace shortcuts (Keyboard Navigator) skipped some shortcuts and didn't obey the order.
- Keyboard navigation/folders could have stopped working after deleting RSS containers.
- Can now look for and launch using the keyboard shortcuts that have the same name (just select the right one from the list after entering the shortcut name).
- Ctrl+A is enabled under the keyboard navigation dialog to select the entire text.
- Right click popup menu could have covered the selected shortcut.
- Hidden directories were invisible when using the keyboard to navigate the directory tree.
- Hidden directories and files were not added to folder containers (When refreshing the folder).
- The first shortcut dragged from Windows or a folder containers could sometimes remained unaligned.
- Could fail on certain occasions when moving files between folder containers.
- Refreshing folder containers when the path is the drive root didn't add the correct shortcut for the drive itself on Win XP.
- Failed to save colors/themes when the name contained illegal file characters.
- Setup containers (demo containers) could sometime point to missing shrink icons.
* Many other misc. changes and fixes. I pretty much lost track of the all the small changes at one point :)
v3.0.03 - September 27, 2010
NEW: Added the ability to set the container note font size (see 'Note font size' under the container right click menu).
NEW: New option 'Confirm Open with...': Set whether or not a confirmation is required when starting shortcuts with others as command line arguments (drag a shortcut icon on top of another shortcut label).
CHANGE: Shortcut tooltip now includes shortcut tags and Tag Start indication.
CHANGE: Can now drag shortcut icons and drop them on top of other shortcut labels to use as command line arguments even when the workspace is locked for editing.
CHANGE: Same menu options for shortcuts and containers when the workspace is locked for editing (you still need to unlock the workspace if you want to rearrange objects).
CHANGE: Removed confirmation for container alignments.
CHANGE: The tag asterisk symbol that was visible when the mouse is on top of a shortcut icon is no longer visible by default (use the settings dialog to toggle).
CHANGE: Detached shortcuts container now hides when you dbl-click an empty area inside the container.
CHANGE: When using the right-click menu option Start Selected, the shortcut will not be launched with the Tag Start option even if it is selected for that particular shortcut.
CHANGE: Some adjustments to mouse sensitivity.
FIX: Launching a shortcut that is set to Tag Start from a detached container crashed the program.
FIX: The shortcut properties dialog was shown for the wrong shortcut when launching multiple shortcuts at once when there was an error opening one of the shortcuts.
FIX: Wrong shortcut selected in the properties dialog when launching a non-existing shortcut from detached containers.
FIX: Problem which prevented the workspace from collapsing when pressing the Esc key.
FIX: Workspace did not collapse when launching shortcuts with other as command line arguments (drag and drop shortcut icon on top of another shortcut label).
FIX: Right click menu items that are not applicable for command line shortcuts are now hidden.
FIX: Launching shortcuts with others as command line argument is now disabled when dragging shortcut icons on top of command line shortcuts.
FIX: Choosing container icon didn't work for multiple selected containers.
FIX: Entering an RSS container name with the keyboard did not expand shrunken RSS containers.
FIX: Appearance tab: Color theme didn't change when using the keyboard.
FIX: Problem extracting correct name when adding shortcuts to computer disk drives.
FIX: Some problems with the keyboard navigation functionality.
FIX: Wrong tooltip for command line shortcuts in detached containers.
Other misc. minor changes and fixes.
v3.0.00 BETA5 - September 9, 2010
NEW: When launching a shortcut that doesn't physically exist the properties dialog that pops up will now let you save the changes and open the shortcut again ('Save and open' button).
NEW: Added Delete command to the shortcut mini-toolbar.
CHANGE: The shortcut mini-toolbar is made visible when the workspace is locked, shortcuts are selected and clicking the Lock button that allows you to unlock the workspace for 10 seconds.
CHANGE: The word "Tag" will appear before the shortcut's name when using the keyboard to launch a shortcut that is set to Tag start (start other shortcuts that share the same tag automatically).
CHANGE: When removing a single shortcut, the shortcut's name will be displayed in the confirmation dialog.
CHANGE: When removing a single container, the container's name will be displayed in the confirmation dialog.
CHANGE: Online Library: The option to add new RSS containers to the online library has been restored. The option to add other types of containers (Shortcuts and Notes) is disabled at this time.
FIX: Wrong tooltip for the Bold checkbox in the shortcut properties dialog.
FIX: Installer: Will no longer install demo containers when upgrading from previous versions.
FIX: Wrong tooltip for system command shortcuts.
A few other minor changes.
v3.0.00 BETA4 - August, 30, 2010
NEW: When undocking the workspace using the global hotkey, you could always launch shortcuts in the workspace by entering any part of the shortcut's name. Now, you can also open folders and websites by typing the folder name and a backslash, or a website when the search string includes a dot (".").
Open folders from SideSlide working drive:
From a different drive: d:\test\example
(anything with a 'dot' will be treated as URL)
NEW: Added Alt to the global hotkey selection.
NEW: The global hotkey can be combined with the spacebar key by entering the underscore character (_).
* For example, you can now use Alt+Space to undock the workspace and enter a shortcut/folder or URL to launch.
CHANGE: Now extracts parameters from windows shortcuts when dragging them to the workspace.
CHANGE: Open file location menu item now visible when the workspace is locked for editing.
CHANGE: Remove shortcut and container menu item is now visible when the workspace is locked for editing.
FIX: Detached container colors did not change in real-time when changing the workspace color/theme.
v3.0.00 BETA3 - August, 18, 2008
FIX: Program may crash when deleting containers with pictures.
FIX: Program may crash when refreshing or deleting Folder Containers.
FIX: Using the mouse wheel when there are no containers crashed the program.
FIX: Workspace remained invisible when using the Center Workspace command from the tray menu and the Invisible border option was selected.
FIX: Fold/Unfold all command folded containers with the container toolbar hidden.
FIX: Resize border when resizing containers could have remained visible under certain scenarios.
FIX: Some Settings dialog option buttons appeared in black on Windows XP.
v3.0.00 BETA2 - August, 4, 2008
NEW: Option 'Undock on click' from the Settings dialog will let you undock the workspace ONLY on mouse click.
FIX: Reminders didn't work properly on certain system time zones and locale.
FIX: Container Shortcuts menu appeared even when there were no shortcuts inside the container.
FIX: The tag button color was not restored when changing container colors and a container tag is selected.
FIX: The 'Loading...' label was not visible when refreshing detached news feeds by using the right click menu option.
FIX: Detached containers without tabs undocked after Windows lock/resume and didn't dock back.
FIX: Detached containers reappeared in the workspace when detaching containers immediately after expanding them.
v3.0.00 BETA - July, 31, 2008
CHANGE: Confirmation is now required before applying style settings (size, color and weight) to multiple shortcuts from the Shortcut Properties dialog.
CHANGE: You can now submit notes with up to 1500 characters to the online library.
FIX: Dbl-clicking to shrink a container and right clicking to shrink an RSS container might have caused it to automatically re-expand (depending on location).
FIX: Starting all shortcuts by dbl-clicking a container or via the right click menu was not working with system commands.
FIX: Global Hotkey wasn't working correctly.
FIX: Undocking the workspace using the default method (keeping the mouse in the same position for half a second) was longer than half a second. Tip: You can always click to undock immediately or use the 'Undock without delay' option.
FIX: 'Click to expand but auto-shrink' setting was not working properly.
FIX: Color box in the Shortcut Properties dialog was not initialized properly and when multiple shortcuts were selected, the color was not changed after clicking OK.
FIX: You can no longer draw containers that are larger than the active workspace.
FIX: Attaching a detached container back to the workspace will always place it on top of other containers.
FIX: Starting shortcuts using the keyboard didn't work as expected under all circumstances.
FIX: Unable to use the Enter and Del keys on hidden shortcuts (hidden when using the container tag feature).
FIX: Dragging shortcuts over containers didn't show the right error-tip for Folder Containers.
FIX: Containers didn't unfold when dragging files from Explorer/other Folder Containers over the container label.
FIX: Toggling the Command check box from the Shortcut Properties dialog will no longer affect multiple shortcuts.
FIX: Failed to upload new containers to the library when items contained the & (ampersand) or % (percent) symbols.
Other misc. changes and fixes.
v3.0.00a5 - July, 25, 2008
NEW: An easier way to set container icons (when containers are shrunk) - Right click a container shortcut and choose the new 'Use icon' menu command.
CHANGE: Hide toolbar in the container right click menu works on multiple selected containers (unless the container is folded).
CHANGE: Pasting shortcuts to non-folder container is now possible.
CHANGE: Shortcuts are unselected when right clicking a container or the workspace to show the popup menu.
CHANGE: Shortcut related commands moved to the shortcut right click menu from the global workspace Arrange menu.
CHANGE: Various right click menus have been completely reorganized and should now make much more sense.
FIX: The Container New menu will no longer appear when right clicking Folder Containers.
FIX: Deleting files/folder from Folder Containers could have crashed the program.
FIX: Pictures Replace command did not work properly.
FIX: Moving pictures when there are no containers in the workspace could have caused the program to crash.
FIX: The Unlock Workspace menu item in the container right click menu is now the first item even in Folder Containers menu.
FIX: Right clicking a shrunk container and selecting to create a new URL could have positioned the URL shortcut beyond the container visible bounds.
FIX: Adding invalid RSS feeds could have crashed the program.
FIX: Menu command Unselect all didn't unselect containers properly.
FIX: Some workspace paint issues have been fixed.
FIX: Visual glitch when moving a detached container tab to the left side of the screen.
FIX: Menu items Download Favicon, Open file location and Change to relative path were visible on non URL shortcuts.
FIX: Problem when trying to add RSS news feed containers to the online library with '&' (and) and '=' (equal) symbols in the URL.
FIX: Floating toolbar won't show when there is a single shortcut selected (only when there are no selected shortcuts).
FIX: Detaching containers was not functional after deleting a picture from the workspace.
FIX: Closing a message box dialog required the user to press the Tab key before the Enter key could have been used (pressing the spacebar key always worked).
FIX: Shortcuts were not selected and unselected properly with right click when the workspace was locked.
FIX: Problem with restoring detached containers last location after startup.
FIX: Problems with parsing certain news feeds (still need some work, but can load the vast majority of feeds as is).
FIX: Some speed improvements loading news feed headlines.
v3.0.00a4 - July, 25, 2008
NEW: You can now select to completely hide the window border when the workspace is collapsed. This setting is controlled via the new radio button options in the Settings dialog: Border when collapsed: Visible and Invisible.
NEW: Restored shortcut swap functionality from version 2 but it's a bit different now: You can swap the location of two shortcuts by dragging a shortcut by its icon and dropping it on top of another icon. This will only work if both shortcuts are in the same container or in the workspace. Move shortcuts by clicking the name labels to prevent this behavior.
NEW: Added quick search links to the Container Library dialog allowing you to quickly search for available containers in different subjects.
CHANGE: Some visual changes in the way containers shrink and expand.
CHANGE: Added warning to the Add to library dialog before sending file and directory shortcut containers. You should only submit containers that point to file and folders if they are in the default installation location and not shortcuts that are unique to your computer.
CHANGE: A brief 'snap' indication when a shortcut aligns to the grid.
CHANGE: Shortcuts will now align to the grid based on the icon and not on the shortcut label.
CHANGE: Removed the 'Wide border when docked' option for detached containers and the workspace
CHANGE: Shadow removed for a cleaner look.
FIX: Refreshing selected RSS news feed containers via the right click menu may have not worked under all circumstances.
FIX: Detached tab location is now reset when detaching a container by dragging it out of the workspace.
FIX: Window resize was triggered when trying to select items in the workspace.
FIX: Apply button remained disabled after selecting different wallpapers.
FIX: Some fixes to the Folder Containers feature.
FIX: When dragging a shortcut by its icon from Folder Containers, the shortcut moved to the left, to the location of the icon.
FIX: Arranging multiple shortcuts will now align them properly.
FIX: The workspace was unnecessarily centered when clicking the dock now button, clicking the menu command Collapse now and when using the Esc key.
FIX: You can no longer submit empty notes to the library.
FIX: Some other fixes.
v3.0.00a3 - July, 22, 2008:
NEW: Added new hotkey combinations you can select from for the Global Hotkey: Win, Ctrl + Shift, Alt + Ctrl, Win + Alt and Win + Ctrl.
NEW: Added ability to quickly add commands to the workspace and containers using the New right click menus (not just by adding files and changing them to commands later).
CHANGE: The minutes list under the reminder dialog has been reduced to 5 minute increments. You can enter an exact number manually.
CHANGE: Cleaner caption in the About dialog.
FIX: Using Ctrl+A to select all shortcuts in a container prevented an expanded container from shrinking back.
FIX: Dragging shortcuts to containers changed the shortcuts size based on hidden shortcuts (when using the new container tag feature) and not only on visible ones.
FIX: (from previous alpha) Not all shortcuts were aligned to the grid.
FIX: Clicking an error headline in detached news feeds (when the news feed fails to download) crashed the program.
FIX: When dragging a web URL shortcut to a container, the container icon was not initialized correctly.
FIX: Fix for disappearing icons when dragging shortcuts from a container and dropping them back in the same one.
FIX: Selecting a custom icon for system commands appeared to be disabled and the browse for file button (for selecting the icon file) was disabled.
FIX: Creating new shortcuts from the container right click menu may have caused the shortcuts to be created outside of the container visible bounds.
FIX: Using the space key to unfold and expand RSS containers didn't work properly.
v3.0.00a2 - July, 21, 2008:
NEW: Greatly improved memory management. It should have a major effect when adding and removing many objects such as containers, shortcuts and pictures.
NEW: Completely new reminders functionality! The reminders are now shown using special reminder-containers with a new reminder icon. It's much easier to schedule new reminders and to keep track of them. Upgrade note: You can delete the default reminder pictures from SideSlide folder since they are no longer used.
NEW: You can now use any color for reminders in the workspace which is also used by the reminder notification dialog.
NEW: Last used folder is remembered for misc. program operations (adding pictures, shortcuts, selecting container icons and others).
NEW: Added a new default icon for note containers.
NEW: Changed the default icon for regular containers.
CHANGE: Much cleaner picture handling. The pictures are now added borderless (Picture border color selector has been removed from the Appearance dialog) and the Lock menu item has been removed.
CHANGE: Pictures are now aligned to the grid (use Ctrl to temporarily disable alignment).
CHANGE: Removed the ability to move all pictures in the workspace together using the Ctrl key (can be restored if anyone was using that).
CHANGE: Container help tips for reminders and for other operations have been improved.
CHANGE: The Reminder dialog button Delete is now named Close when creating a new reminder and will no longer require confirmation to delete a reminder if it was not set.
CHANGE: When adding multiple URLs using the Add URL dialog and selecting the Keep Open check-box: The new URLs will be added in an organized manner to the workspace (not one on top of the other like before).
CHANGE: The container movement undo buffer (allowing you to use Ctrl+Z to restore the last position) has been increased to 30.
CHANGE: When creating containers with shortcuts to folder items (by dragging folders to the workspace) or creating Folder Containers; a shortcut to open the folder itself is now added to the container.
CHANGE: New RSS Refresh button.
CHANGE: A Loading... label on detached RSS containers when the headlines are downloaded.
CHANGE: When the mouse hovers over news feed containers they won't jump to the foreground anymore (you have to click them).
FIX: Crash when dragging pictures.
FIX: Workspace collapsed when choosing a custom shortcut color.
FIX: Container resize symbol could have been drawn on shrunken and folded containers (when containers can't be resized).
FIX: Container resize symbol disappeared when container colors changed.
FIX: Some timer issues were fixed.
FIX: (from v3a) Note containers were using the wrong dimensions when flipped (at the bottom of the workspace).
FIX: Floating toolbar will no longer show when tags are selected.
FIX: The RSS refresh button appeared on non-RSS containers when selecting shortcuts.
FIX: Changing shortcut size from the Shortcut Properties dialog did no affect selected shortcuts properly.
FIX: Selecting all shortcuts within a container or the workspace using Ctrl+A affected shortcuts that were hidden by tag (when viewing other shortcuts that share a certain tag).
FIX: (from v3a) Expanded container did not shrink back on double-click.
FIX: Load default settings check-box under the Settings dialog showed the wrong tooltip.
FIX: Other misc. bug fixes.
v3.0.00a - July, 16, 2008:
NEW: A completely new interface: SideSlide is now much more appealing and modern with shading, gradients and more.
- Upgrade from previous versions note: Since the workspace and container buttons have been completely changed, you will have some redundant files under the Skin folder. You can delete the Skin folder before the upgrade so that the new files are installed instead.
NEW: Online Container Library: You can download ready made containers with RSS news feeds, notes, shortcuts, commands and web bookmarks.
- Submit your own containers too!
- Check it out from the new floating toolbar, right click menu or by pressing F6.
NEW: Numerous changes to containers, shortcuts, functions, options and menus.
NEW: Container inside tags: The new tag button (replaces the folder link button next to the Shrink/Expand button) offers the ability to have many different shortcuts in the same container while only keeping certain ones visible based on tags. See the manual for more.
NEW: Full multi-monitor support: The workspace and detached containers will now work properly with multi-monitor setups. They can also collapse to the top, bottom, left and right sides of each monitor.
NEW: Completely redesigned detached containers functionality so that you can have everything you need instantly accessible from anywhere.
NEW: New options in detached containers right click menu to control visibility and more (Auto show, Auto hide, Hide on click, Enable fade-out and Refresh feed for news feed containers).
NEW: Detached Tabs: By default, a tab with the container's name will be displayed when a detached container is collapsed to any side of the screen.
NEW: Detached containers can now be resized. You can keep different sizes for the container when it's attached and detached.
NEW: Detached notes are now editable.
NEW: Detached containers attached above the workspace will attach back to the same relative place in the workspace.
NEW: Detached containers with labels will always be visible when undocked (will always use the part of the screen they can expand and be fully visible on).
NEW: Added the ability to detach containers by dragging them out of the workspace from the top as well as from the other edges (when Drag to Detach is selected).
NEW: A fadeout effect when the detached container collapses back.
NEW: You can now attach individual containers back to the workspace (Arrange >> Attach).
NEW: Completely new Settings and Appearance dialog with many new options you can tweak. This replaces the unfriendly menu commands.
NEW: The various containers are now drawn on the workspace so you can instantly create a container in the required size.
NEW: Drag and drop support is greatly improved.
NEW: The floating toolbar has been completely redesigned and is now much more functional and usable.
NEW: Shortcuts 'Tag Start' option: Before you could only start all shortcuts that share the same tag from the right click menu, but now you can also set a shortcut to automatically start all other shortcuts with the same tag as soon as you launch it. This allows you to quickly launch multiple shortcuts at once.
NEW: A much more intuitive way to start all shortcuts in a container at once: Simply dbl-click the icon when the container is shrunk (replaces the Select Container Icon functionality which is available from the menu).
NEW: The reminder dialog and reminders functionality has been completely redesigned with a much better interface. It should work without problems across different system locales and more.
NEW: Option to download favicons (website icons) to use inside the workspace for web URL shortcuts.
NEW: Shortcut 'click' sensitivity: When using the default single-click to launch shortcuts, the shortcut will still start even if it was slightly moved (it takes accidental "drags" into consideration).
NEW: New items in the container menu: Add file, directory or URL directly to the container.
NEW: You can now delete tags using the new Edit Tags dialog.
NEW: New container menu item for Folder Containers (previously Folder Link) which allows you to easily paste files copied from the Windows Explorer into the Folder Container.
NEW: Tooltips will show when trying to drag shortcuts and pictures to shrunken or folded RSS, Note and Folder containers reminding you that these containers don't accept certain kinds of objects.
NEW: More menu options available in containers' right click menu even when the workspace is locked for editing. In addition to that, you can now unlock the workspace via the container right click menu.
NEW: New menu item in the Position and system-tray menus to center the workspace.
NEW: Container icon will be initialized from the first shortcut that your add to it.
NEW: Double-clicking a shrunken Note and RSS container will expand them.
NEW: When dragging shortcuts to containers, the shortcuts size will change to the size already used for shortcuts in the container.
NEW: You can now drag (or add using the floating-toolbar or right click menu) folders and create a container with some of folder's items inside.
NEW: New program icon and about dialog.
NEW: The number of selected shortcuts and containers is shown before removing them.
NEW: Option to remove tray icon.
NEW: Icon selection is completely different and improved.
NEW: New Add web URL dialog: Allows you to set the URL's label and download the favicon.
NEW: Selected shortcuts inside a container will be re-sorted according to the container's size.
NEW: You can now only resize containers using the special resize symbol at the bottom right of each container.
NEW: Position menu option 'Suspend auto-collapse' to keep the workspace open (very useful when adding or arranging items in the workspace).
NEW: New option in the mini-toolbar to create Folder Containers.
NEW: Option to hide the container toolbar for a much cleaner look.
NEW: RSS news feed icons are cached and re-download is unnecessary so it's much faster to change containers colors, etc.
NEW: Check for update: Option to check for new versions every time the program is started or every few days if you keep it running at all time (don't worry, the version number is the only thing being sent!)
NEW: The shortcut properties dialog will open up when failing to start a shortcut with a friendlier error line at the bottom of the dialog.
NEW: When creating a Folder Container, the icon for the container is taken form the folder's path.
NEW: The file icon will be used as the container icon when dragging text files from the Windows Explorer to create a new Note container.
NEW: Shortcut tags are now edited from the Shortcut Properties dialog and you can quickly add existing tags to shortcuts using the new combo-box that lists existing tags used by other shortcuts.
NEW: The workspace and detached container can now dock to the bottom of the screen.
NEW: Shortcuts now align to the grid.
NEW: Option to undock without delay as soon as the mouse goes over the docking border.
NEW: Quick container colors in the Container Colors dialog.
NEW: There is now a short delay before shrunken containers expand and folded container unfolds when you drag an item above the container.
NEW: An optional delay (selected by default and the length can be modified via the Settings dialog) before shrunken containers expand when the mouse is over the Shrink/Expand button.
NEW: When displaying shortcuts that share the same tag inside a container, all shortcuts added to that container will get the active tag.
NEW: You can now use relative path for shortcut icons.
NEW: You can now select a different program activation hotkey (Win+S is the default).
CHANGE: RSS Settings are now accessible via the Settings dialog and not from the main RSS button.
CHANGE: Changes in the way containers are selected. Containers will now remain selected until clicking the workspace or unselecting them using the mouse or the Ctrl key.
CHANGE: You can now cancel detached RSS news feeds auto refresh via the auto-refresh right click menu.
CHANGE: Auto-refresh value is saved (detached RSS containers).
CHANGE: Shortcuts are no longer resolved in Folder Containers.
CHANGE: You can no longer move shortcuts and pictures to Folder Containers, only move and copy files to/from other Folder Containers or the Windows Explorer.
CHANGE: Shrunken Folder Container will expand on refresh.
CHANGE: Dock menu is now called Position, located under the Arrange menu (or as before, by right clicking the Collapse Now button at the upper right part of the workspace).
CHANGE: Shortcut menu options 'Sort A to Z' and 'Sort Z to A' won't show when there is only a single shortcut selected.
CHANGE: Choose the container icon using the container's right click menu (instead of double-click which is now used to start all shortcuts or to expand the container).
CHANGE: Right click container menu shortcut list: The shortcuts are now sorted alphabetically.
CHANGE: Shortcuts are now selected on right click.
CHANGE: Resizing shortcuts will not resort/reorganize them.
CHANGE: A better 'color from icon' function.
CHANGE: The nested containers feature has been removed. It was too buggy and not very well maintained by its developer...(replaced by the container tags feature).
CHANGE: When creating a new note container: Pressing the Enter key will focus on the note itself when you finish entering its label.
CHANGE: You can now remove shortcuts from Folder Containers without deleting them from disk.
CHANGE: There is now a warning if the shortcut count inside a container has been reached.
CHANGE: Menu options that were previously called Delete are now called Remove to save the confusion.
CHANGE: Shortcut size is limited in length for much better layout and organization.
CHANGE: Shortcut selection is now using a different color scheme.
CHANGE: When attaching containers back, they will always be visible even if the workspace was resized since they were detached.
CHANGE: Removed Mark on Launch feature for the sake of clarity (also, it wasn't very useful - only in unlikely scenarios).
CHANGE: 'Open file location' command for system-commands now opens the shortcut properties dialog.
CHANGE: Resizing containers is now based on the grid (when the Align option is selected).
CHANGE: Faster loading of detached containers.
CHANGE: Explore folder is now Open folder (will open it without the tree pane).
CHANGE: Grid lines are no longer visible.
CHANGE: Misc. changes to renaming containers.
CHANGE: Invert selection for shortcuts is now limited to shortcuts in the same container or in the workspace (depending on where the selected shortcut is in).
CHANGE: Removed the replace shortcuts feature when shortcuts are dragged close to one another.
CHANGE: Detached RSS containers will not collapse as soon as you click a headline by default. You can now open a few headlines and collapse the detached container back using the right mouse button.
CHANGE: RSS containers won't cover one another when adding multiple RSS feeds at the same time.
FIX: Some non-user items were deleted when the Clear Workspace command was used.
FIX: Crash when clicking the Loading label in detached RSS news feed containers when headlines were being downloaded.
FIX: Crash when trying to attach a detached RSS container when headlines were being downloaded.
FIX: When deleting shortcuts and selecting all using Ctrl+A, then applying style setting via the shortcut mini-toolbar, some deleted shortcuts re-appeared without their labels or icons.
FIX: Many bug fixes to the Folder Containers feature (previously called 'Folder Link'): Moving and copying between two Folder Containers and the desktop, shortcuts name, extensions and many more...
FIX: When dbl-clicking the name label of 'flipped' folded RSS news feed containers; a headline could have been opened if it was directly below the mouse.
FIX: RSS load on startup feature was not working.
FIX: Program icon was missing when searching for shortcuts using the keyboard for shortcuts that use relative path.
FIX: When detaching containers but not moving them around, the location is still restored when you attach and detach the container again.
FIX: Reset shortcut style did not work for all selected shortcuts.
FIX: Shrunken containers won't leave trails when moved around the workspace.
FIX: It�s much easier to resize containers.
FIX: Misc. program dialogs are centered according to the location of the workspace (no matter which monitor it is on).
FIX: Problems with opening certain dialogs when the workspace was undocked.
FIX: '00' was missing from the minute field in the reminder dialog.
FIX: Shrink back and fold back containers didn't work when dragging items from the Windows Explorer of from Folder Containers.
FIX: Creating Note containers with text from a files (drag a text file while holding down the shift key) is now limited to 200 lines.
FIX: No line breaks in dynamically created Note containers.
FIX: Delete Selected Shortcuts dialog appeared even when there were no selected shortcuts.
FIX: Shortcuts changed colors after selection.
FIX: Reset shortcut style will no longer rearrange the shortcuts.
FIX: Shortcuts could have been launched when dbl-clicking a container to shrink it back.
FIX: Shortcut mini-toolbar now hides when a container is folded.
FIX: Drag items from Windows didn't work when using the 'Wide border' option.
FIX: You can now drag URLs from your web browser's address bar to different containers (previously only worked when dragging URLs to the workspace).
FIX: Shortcuts could have been selected when the workspace undocked.
FIX: Shortcut color will change according to the workspace or the container color when not using a custom color (when moving shortcuts between containers or to the workspace).
FIX: When opening shortcut properties for command shortcuts, the label automatically changed to Command.
FIX: When resuming Windows after lock or hibernation, the workspace did not collapse back to the place it was docked to.
FIX: Selection is disabled inside a container when the note is visible.
FIX: Match size option for containers didn't work properly when some of the containers were folded, unfolded or shrunk.
FIX: Refresh menu option was visible in shortcuts menu and not only in RSS containers menu.
FIX: There is now a slight delay when selecting text from note containers before an expanded note container shrinks back.
FIX: Shortcut icons were drawn one on top of the other when using keyboard navigation.
FIX: The workspace could not start invisible (hide it via the system-tray icon).
FIX: Right clicking a shortcut when workspace is locked will not turn the container's border to red and show the unlock button.
FIX: Refresh all RSS news feed now works with detached news feeds as well as the ones attached to the workspace.
FIX: The RSS refresh button remained visible even if there were no more RSS news feeds to refresh (after selecting Refresh all from the RSS menu).
FIX: Changing colors from the Appearance dialog affects detached containers immediately (before, a program restart was needed).
FIX: Open file location command now works for shortcuts that use relative paths.
FIX: Many fixes to the reminders functionality (see the NEW section for more).
v2.4.09b - June 17, 2008
NEW: You can now detach RSS news feed containers (via the right-click menu). Dock the detached news feeds in the same way the workspace itself is docked, or keep them visible on a secondary monitor. Detached RSS news feed containers support auto-refresh every 5, 10 or 30 minutes by clicking the new clock icon at the top of the detached container.
TIP: Hover with the mouse over the detached container to see the minutes passed since the last update, or the label itself to see the exact update time. A short description from the news article will be shown at the bottom of the container when mouse pointer is over a headline.
NEW: RSS News Feeds: New menu command to refresh selected news feeds (you can refresh multiple selected feeds at once).
NEW: Menu options for detached containers shortcuts: Start selected and start all with the same tag (the same as when the shortcuts are in the workspace).
CHANGE: The Shortcut Properties dialog can now be used to edit multiple shortcuts. You can use it to easily apply advanced settings on multiple shortcuts without changing their placement/layout.
CHANGE: When you click to read a news story or browse through articles with the RSS viewer, the headline will be marked as read at all times, even after new headlines are downloaded.
CHANGE: Tags are now viewed and can be modified via the shortcut properties dialog.
FIX: Launching a shortcut from a detached container now works with left click only.
FIX: Changes to the 'stay on top' functions for the workspace and detached containers.
FIX: Last Update label was shown at the wrong place on startup.
FIX: Shortcut icons were still visible when detaching note containers that contain shortcuts.
FIX: News feed tooltips were not shown after using the clear workspace command.
FIX: Some misc. GUI fixes.
v2.4.00b - April 18, 2008
NEW: Keyboard navigation for RSS feeds: You can now use the keyboard to show the workspace and then browse through the various news feeds and headlines:
* Open a specific news feed by entering the feed's name.
* Use the spacebar button to open the next feed and Shift+Space to open the previous one.
* [F5] to refresh the feed.
* Key Down and Key Up to select headlines.
* View feed items by using the Enter key (open on the site or with the RSS Viewer).
NEW: Right clicking a container allows you to quickly start shortcuts from inside using the new Container Shortcuts menu (also work with Folded and Shrunken containers). This is a great way to quickly launch shortcuts.
NEW: Clicking the lock button that appears when trying to move containers and shortcuts when the workspace is locked for editing, will now unlock the workspace for 10 seconds before locking it again ('lock.wav' found in the program's directory will be played). This replaces the previous behavior and allows you to quickly make changes even when the workspace is locked.
NEW: When trying to move or resize locked containers, or shortcuts inside locked containers, the container border will flash in red, in addition to showing the 'lock button'.
NEW: Menu option to hide Folder Link buttons in case you do not use that feature anymore, even when you currently have some containers set as folder links.
NEW: Menu option to hide container note buttons.
NEW: Redesigned tooltips for RSS news feeds: Some misc. GUI changes and the headline is now displayed using bold font above the description. Tooltips are also visible when using the keyboard to select headlines.
NEW: Selected font name and size is visible inside the Properties dialog [F4].
NEW: Added a Loading label when refreshing an RSS news feed.
NEW: New theme: Claws
NEW: New wallpaper: BlueFade.jpg
CHANGE: Important change to the way RSS feeds are loaded: The feeds are now downloaded asynchronously (non-blocking). You can load different news feeds while waiting for others to finish. In addition to that, the workspace remains responsive when refreshing all RSS feeds using the menu command or pressing [F11].
CHANGE: The workspace will unhide (undock) like other windows/toolbars. You can click the edge of the screen to quickly show the workspace, or hover with the mouse for half a second over the workspace border without moving it away.
CHANGE: [F5] is now used to refresh news feeds and + is used to refresh shortcuts.
CHANGE: Removed menu command Delay before undock.
CHANGE: Removed menu command Collapse before launch (the workspace will always collapse before launching a shortcut).
CHANGE: Many changes to the main container menu when clicking the container label, inside a container or a shrunken one. To add new shortcuts to containers, either drag shortcuts to the container from the Windows Explorer or create new shortcuts on the workspace and drag them from there.
CHANGE: Faster startup speed.
CHANGE: New Plastic Gray theme (removed older Plastic Gray buttons).
CHANGE: Removed wallpaper: Bluesteps.jpg
CHANGE: Some container menu items are now still accessible even when the workspace is locked.
CHANGE: When selecting all shortcuts within a folded or a shrunken container it will unfold or expand. Select using Ctrl+A or the Containers Shortcuts >> Select all menu command.
CHANGE: The container Rename command will expand shrunken containers.
CHANGE: Ability to resize folded containers is no longer available: This may produce unexpected results.
CHANGE: Resizing containers is now limited by minimum height and width. The container border will flash in red when resized to a value smaller than the minimum.
FIX: Single click to start shortcuts also works in detached containers (when the the Dbl-click to start menu option is unchecked).
FIX: Resizing shortcuts with Ctrl + Mouse Wheel was still possible even when the workspace was locked.
FIX: Fixed a bug when closing detached containers.
FIX: Mouse pointer flickered when the mouse hovered over a shortcut while using single click to start shortcuts.
FIX: Some fixes for dragging shortcuts to folded and shrunken containers.
FIX: The container is selected when the refresh button is pressed.
FIX: Last update label color was not changed when changing the workspace colors.
FIX: Bug that caused a shrunken group not to expand properly.
FIX: Shrink/Expand all main toolbar command also affected folded containers and not just shrunken ones.
FIX: When Dbl-Clicking a folded container to start a shortcut, the container may not fold back when the workspace collapses.
Many other small changes and improvements.
Please donate if you can and find SideSlide useful to you. Any amount is much appreciated!
v2.3.00b - March 10, 2008
NEW: Detach containers from the workspace: You can now reclaim even more space by creating extra workspaces from various containers. Detached containers act in the same way the main workspace window does and can be docked and hidden to any edge of the screen. See the manual for more information.
NEW: Added a menu option to start all shortcuts that share a tag with the selected one (this is very useful to start related shortcuts that are spread across the workspace, as opposed to launch groups that are used to launch all shortcuts inside a single container).
NEW: You can now move or copy files with greater flexibility out of folder link containers to other folder link containers or to the Windows Explorer by dragging the shortcut's icon. See the manual for more.
NEW: Use + mouse wheel to resize selected shortcuts.
NEW: Added mouse wheel horizontal scroll feature for RSS containers (Vista only).
NEW: Added a menu option to the shortcut right-click menu to start all selected shortcuts.
NEW: Menu option: Attach All under the Arrange menu to attach all detached containers back to the workspace.
NEW: Menu option: Drag to Detach under the Settings >> Containers menu that allows you to drag containers out of the workspace in order to detach them.
NEW: Menu option: Hotkey reveals detached containers under the Settings >> Global Settings menu.
NEW: Menu option: Wide border: Detached Containers under the Settings >> Dock menu.
NEW: Menu option: Create a note from a feed item by right clicking it. You can also create a note and automatically detach it from the workspace.
NEW: Menu option: Settings >> Containers - Click to expand but auto shrink (see the manual for more).
NEW: Added an option to fold back unfolded RSS containers when unfolded using Dbl-Click (the same as you can do with shrunken RSS containers).
CHANGE: New reminder bitmaps and some other GUI changes.
CHANGE: Some misc. changes to the Folder Link feature.
CHANGE: Folded containers will fold back when shortcuts are dragged to different containers or back to the workspace.
Many other changes and bug fixes.
v2.2.07b - February 24, 2008
NEW: Added a menu option to workspace shortcuts to open the file location and select the file.
NEW: When dragging text from the web browser to create web snippets, the text container title is taken from the text itself (before it defaulted to Web Snippet).
When right clicking a shortcut and the workspace is locked for editing, you can now quickly unlock it by clicking the new popup menu item.
CHANGE: Container borders are now a bit wider to allow easier selection.
CHANGE: Added a new tip to the container tooltip (Click to delay shrink-back if Auto Expand on Mouse-Over is selected).
FIX: It should now be easier to resize containers.
FIX: Bug when selecting dead RSS feeds from the RSS Viewer feed list.
FIX: Mark on Launch option was shown on containers' right click menu.
FIX: Workspace did not collapse when exploring a folder (Folder Link containers).
v2.2.02b - December 12, 2007
NEW: Mark on Launch:
This is a unique and advanced feature that lets you see if a certain program you launched from the workspace is running or not. Select any shortcut, right click it, and then choose Mark on Launch. Enter a tag (any word you choose), and when you launch the shortcut, it will be bordered to indicate that it's running. To remove the border, you have to launch any other shortcut that includes the selected tag. This feature is especially useful is you have some sort of "start" and "stop" shortcuts and you need to know if the application is running (in the event that it is hidden, or on a different monitor/virtual desktop). To remove the shortcut's Mark on Launch attribute, simply select Remove Mark on Launch from the shortcut menu.
v2.2.00b - October 29, 2007
NEW: Completely redesigned keyboard navigation:
You can now locate, launch or delete any shortcut in the workspace using full text search! Bring up SideSlide�s workspace using the global hotkey (Win+S), enter the first few letters of the shortcut you wish to execute and press the enter key. Press the down arrow key to browse through all other shortcuts that contain the search string. Press the Esc key to clear the search field and press it again to close the search box. See the help page for more.
NEW: Recover from Crash: SideSlide now offers the option to recover to the latest workspace in case of a system/program crash. Everything you create is saved in real-time so you won't lose any changes.
If you are a SideSlide fan, and you like it enough to make a small donation, you can remove the Please Donate link from the splash screen/about dialog. Simply create a file called RemovePleaseDonate.ThankYou (right-click and Save As...) in SideSlide's root folder. SideSlide is not limited in any way, please only use this 'trick' if you like it and want to see it in the future.
CHANGE: The RSS feeds menu option Load on Startup is now unchecked by default. The 'Load on startup' option can cause the splash screen (loading indicator) to stay up for too long since it's downloading the latest news feeds.
CHANGE: The search box colors are now based on the chosen container colors for the selected theme.
NEW: Menu option: 'Settings Folder' to open the directory the workspace files and the containers are saved to.
CHANGE: New Vista theme buttons.
v2.1.05b - October 20, 2007
NEW: The container border color now matches the container background color. This new feature gives SideSlide a much more modern look, especially when using multiple container background colors.
NEW: When dragging files, pictures, web snippets, etc, from Windows to add new items to the workspace and it's locked, the workspace will unlock for a period of 10 seconds allowing you to arrange the shortcuts before locking again.
CHANGE: Removed 'Container Border' color selection from the Display Properties dialog.
FIX: A bug that may have prevented SideSlide from using different container buttons (see the Properties dialog to select different button sets).
v2.1.04b - August 1, 2007
NEW: Highlight search terms: Display news feed headlines in red in case one of the terms in the Recent Search Terms list is found. This feature is useful to track various items that are important to you. The headline will be colored in red in case the search term is found in the news feed headline or the description. The search term will also appear at the beginning of the headline inside square brackets.
NEW: RSS Search: Added an option to clear the Recent Search Terms list.
CHANGE: Re-added sounds: To get the sounds working again, download the sounds zip file and extract it to the program's directory.
CHANGE: System-tray menu: Left click will now always show the workspace (will not toggle between show and hide). Hide the workspace by using the system-tray icon right click menu.
CHANGE: New container default shrink icon.
FIX: RSS Container colors change correctly when choosing new container colors.
FIX: Reminder problems related to the system time & date format.
v2.1.00b - April 18, 2007
NEW: RSS Containers: Code completely reworked and the news feed containers are shown (and are accessible) in a much more standard way.
NEW: RSS viewer: IE frame is used to display news articles. View news articles using the correct format including images, etc.
NEW: Folded containers 'flip' (the toolbar buttons relocate to the bottom of the container) in case the container will not be fully visible when unfolded (the same as with shrunken containers).
NEW: RSS items tool tips: The item description shows up immediately (on mouse over) in a new translucent tool tip box.
NEW: News feeds: Added support for additional formats.
NEW: When the RSS items are NOT set to load on startup, you can now press the 'Click to download headlines' item in addition to the Refresh button.
NEW: Added Refresh RSS button to the RSS Viewer dialog.
NEW: Automatically expanded RSS containers: Dbl-click an empty place inside the RSS container to shrink it back (in addition to the 'right click to shrink back' option).
NEW: RSS Viewer: Current visible item number and the total number of items are shown.
NEW: RSS: Right click or click a headline to open it directly on the website even when using the RSS Viewer.
NEW: Added a menu option to check for a new version.
NEW: New program icon, system tray icon and symbol.
NEW: New splash/about screen.
CHANGE: RSS: When selecting the Refresh All (F11) menu command, the name and number of the current feed is displayed, as well as the total number of feeds.
CHANGE: Container toolbar buttons respond to left click only.
CHANGE: RSS Viewer window status is saved (checked options, location and size).
CHANGE: RSS: When the Load on startup option is selected, the loading status for each RSS container appears in the splash screen.
FIX: Problem introduced in the previous version: Locked pictures were not 'relocked' on startup.
FIX: Problem introduced in the previous version: Notes could be lost upon program startup
FIX: Some fixes to the dock back function after launching shortcuts, etc.
FIX: When shrinking back RSS containers with right mouse button, there is a now a half a second delay before the container can be re-expanded.
Many other misc. changes and fixes.
v2.0.01bR2 - April 9, 2007
FIX: RSS was not working on some computer even after installing MSXML6
NEW: Proxy Server - Option to set a proxy server if required by your network.
FIX: Right click to close an RSS container could have triggered refresh on another one.
NEW: Shrink back RSS containers using the right mouse button after the container is automatically expanded.
CHANGE: Reminder popup window.
CHANGE: Default reminder image.
CHANGE: Added notification to download MSXML6 to the RSS list upon error.
CHANGE: Floating toolbar commands response.
FIX: Reminders not showing (related to the system clock format).
FIX: Reminders dialog always defaults to PM.
FIX: Reminder check when trying to schedule a reminder in the past.
Misc. minor fixes and adjustments to the new RSS containers functionality.
- You must have Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 installed in order to use the latest version and display RSS feeds. If you don't have it installed on your XP/2000 computer (pre installed on Vista) you can download it from this page.
- See below if upgrading from SideSlide v1.6.02b
NEW: Added support for displaying RSS News Feeds. See the manual for more.
NEW: Match Size, Align Left and Align Top: Container menu option to match the size and alignment of the chosen container with all other selected containers.
NEW: Change color for all selected containers in bulk. The Container Colors menu option now also appears from the Right Click container label menu and the container icon when shrunk.
CHANGE: Collapse Before Launch is selected by default (Dock menu).
CHANGE: Suspend 'shrink back' when clicking a container label.
CHANGE: Splash screen is now translucent.
CHANGE: Re-added alarm.wav for reminders sound.
CHANGE: Added a small delay when resizing expanded containers (will not immediately 'shrink back').
FIX: Container label height.
FIX: Resizing a container from the left edge was not working.
FIX: Clicking inside a container did not unselect other containers.
FIX: 'Shrink back' was not triggered when the mouse was over a container's icon or a note.
Many other minor fixes, changes and improvements.
v1.7.00b - March 28, 2007
Upgrading from SideSlide v1.6.02b:
Windows 2000/XP -
The settings (containers, workspace, etc)-
default location is now the "Application Data" folder.
BEFORE running SideSlide, open the "Profile Location" application from the SideSlide start-
menu group and select "Root folder".
Windows Vista -
If SideSlide is running from the Program Files directory; copy-
the "Containers" folder and "SideSlide.ini" from SideSlide's root folder-
("C:\Program Files\SideSlide") to the "Roaming" folder:
"C:\Users\(Your Windows user name)\AppData\Roaming\SideSlide"
NEW: Profile Location Chooser application: A special app allowing you to choose whether SideSlide should save/load the workspace to/from the root folder or the default AppData folder. See the upgrade note above for more.
NEW: Option to set the shortcut label color based on the icon color.
NEW: New option under the Settings >> Containers menu: Require Confirmation for Start All Shortcuts - Selected by default.
NEW: You can now shrink back a container by dbl-clicking an empty space inside the container.
CHANGE: Donation via PayPal. Please consider a small donation if you find SideSlide useful.
CHANGE: Installer: You no longer need to exit the previous version before upgrade.
CHANGE: Container border is thinner - Cleaner interface.
CHANGE: When browsing for wallpapers, pictures and files; the correct system folder locations will be selected by default.
CHANGE: Transparent mode is not a bit less transparent.
CHANGE: New splash screen and about dialog.
CHANGE: Shortcut Properties dialog: The shortcut label field gets the focus when the dialog is opened. You can now quickly press F2 to change labels of newly added shortcuts.
CHANGE: Removed WAV files and the Enable Sounds option.
CHANGE: Default installation theme and colors.
CHANGE: Smaller tag asterisk icon and icon location (hide it via the Settings > Shortcuts menu).
FIX: Better compatibility with Windows Vista. See the upgrade note above for more.
FIX: Removed the word "test" from the splash screen when loading containers.
FIX: Correct tab stop order on certain dialogs.
FIX: Tag asterisk icon didn�t move back to the workspace under certain conditions.
FIX: Default container icon.
MORE: Other Misc. changes and improvements.
v1.6.02b - February 12, 2007
NEW: Tags menu: You can now quickly select available tags from the main right-click menu.
NEW: Option to hide the asterisk icon (tags) when the mouse is over a shortcut icon.
NEW: How to Use
FIX: Edit menu item on unlocked pictures menu.
FIX: Less flickering when selecting shortcuts.
FIX: Other minor bug fixes.
v1.6.00b - February 2, 2007
NEW: A unique innovation: Shortcut Tags - You can now select multiple tags for each of the shortcuts in the workspace:
- The tags are accessible when you go over a shortcut icon with the mouse.
- Left or Right click the new 'asterisk' icon to access the tags.
- Once a tag is added, left click the asterisk icon to show a popup menu with the selected tags for that specific shortcut.
- Click a tag to show all other shortcuts that share the same tag and hide all the ones that don't (including containers that don't have any shortcut that share the selected tag).
- This new feature allows you to quickly switch into work mode and only have the relevant shortcuts and containers visible.
- You can also select multiple shortcuts and create new tags using the shortcut right-click menu command "Edit Tags...".
- To unhide the hidden shortcuts; click the ribbon showing the selected tag.
NEW: You can now use relative paths for shortcuts: In the shortcut's target path, use the at symbol: '@' instead of the drive's letter (Shortcut Properties dialog) and the shortcut will be executed from the same drive SideSlide is on. You can also change multiple shortcuts using the shortcut right click menu command "Change to Relative Path".
NEW: New dock menu option: Collapse Before Launch - Select this option to have the workspace collapse (when docked) before launching a shortcut rather than waiting for the new program to load and then collapse back.
CHANGE: Smaller shortcut mini-toolbar icons.
CHANGE: When clearing workspace using the menu command SideSlide will display a message box asking to select a different theme instead of the one asking to clear the background picture.
CHANGE: Updated Wave.jpg wallpaper.
CHANGE: Menu wording.
FIX: Shrink/Expand all and Fold/Unfold all buttons were deleted when clearing the workspace using the menu command.
FIX: Verify Shortcuts command did not work with Command type shortcuts.
FIX: Other misc. fixes.
v1.5.04b - December 13, 2006
NEW: You can now choose custom icons from different files for shortcuts instead of the default ones (Right click a shortcut to show the Shortcut Properties dialog).
CHANGE: When dragging files from Explorer to a container, the shortcut label size will be consistent with the last shortcut that was added to the same container.
CHANGE: Any text that begins with "http" dragged into the workspace will be converted into a URL shortcut (e.g. when dragging addresses from the web browser address bar).
CHANGE: Added Browse buttons to the Shortcut Properties dialog.
New Theme: Plastic Gray.
New Wallpapers: Wave.jpg and Bluesteps.jpg
FIX: Expanded containers will shrink back when a file is dragged over the workspace itself, not just when dragging the file to different shrunken containers.
FIX: Not all correct icons were shown when using keyboard navigation (pressing A-Z and 0-9 to find shortcuts).
FIX: Theme wrong file name for wallpaper.
Other Misc. changes.
v1.5.02b - November 09, 2006
NEW: 3 New themes (Plain White on Black, Plain White on Blue and new buttons for the Modern, Blue theme).
CHANGE: Choose between creating "shortcuts to shortcuts" (prior to v1.5.00b) to retain windows shortcut icons, or to extract target paths and use the default icons. See Menu >> Settings >> Global Settings >> Extract Targets from Shortcuts. By default, any shortcut to a .lnk or .url file will be copied into the workspace so you can delete the original shortcut file.
CHANGE: Faster window resizing when a wallpaper is stretched to fit the workspace.
CHANGE: Display Properties dialog: Buttons are now shown using the selected container background color.
FIX: Add New URL command was not working on some cases.
FIX: Rendering problem when resizing the workspace.
v1.5.00b - November 07, 2006 - Major upgrade!
NEW: Major Interface Changes:
- Skin Support: Customize Different buttons, wallpaper and colors or choose from the preinstalled themes (you can even create your own skin!).
- Main window and containers are now rounded to give the workspace a more modern look.
- Customized container toolbar and main window title bar buttons.
- Containers are now aligned according to a visible grid and not against each other.
- Many other cosmetic changes for greater and easier control.
NOTE: When upgrading from previous versions you can delete the SideSlide\Colors and SideSlide\Wallpaper folders since they are now found under SideSlide\Skin. You can move any previously saved color theme or wallpapers to the appropriate subfolders under the Skin folder.
NEW: Redesigned Properties dialog for selecting themes/skins, buttons and colors.
NEW: SideSlide will now extract the target path and URL's from windows file and URL shortcuts (.lnk and .url). You can drag and drop shortcuts to the workspace or to different containers and then delete them from their original locations.
NOTE: If you are using an earlier version and have "shortcuts to shortcuts" (SideSlide shortcuts to windows .lnk and .url files) on the workspace, you may need to re-add them again from the .lnk files, .url files or the original files (for example, in the case of Start Menu Microsoft Office shortcuts).
NEW: You can now run command prompt commands directly from within SideSlide. To use this feature: Add any file to the workspace, right click the new shortcut and select Properties then check the Command check-box and enter the command to execute (e.g. shutdown, rasdial, del and more�)
NEW: Lock workspace for editing icon now also appears in the title bar.
NEW: Toggle Shrink/Expand and Toggle Fold/Unfold for all containers are now accessible via the corresponding title bar buttons.
NEW: Switch button when changing container's colors to exchange between the background and foreground colors.
CHANGE: Will now collapse (if docked) when dbl-clicking to open a picture from the workspace.
CHANGE: Added a close button to the floating toolbar - This will cause the floating toolbar to remain hidden when clicking the workspace (To show again: Right Click Menu>>Settings>>Global Settings>>Show Floating Toolbar).
FIX: Many interface and functionality bug fixes plus many other improvements.
v1.1.01b - August 13, 2006.
NEW: Menu option to undock the main window immediately on mouse over without the delay (the same as it was prior to v1.0.44a).
CHANGE: Faster startup time.
CHANGE: Folder link "Refresh on Expand & Unfold" option is unchecked by default (when adding new containers).
FIX: Maximized window state bug fixes - Can now be maximized (dbl-click the title bar) and remain at the bottom.
v1.1.00b - August 9, 2006.
Now on BETA stage
NEW: Option to display a wider 'dock border' (when the workspace is hidden).
NEW: Set the dock border color from the Display Properties dialog.
NEW: Misc. settings options from the right-click menu are now also available under the Display Properties dialog.
CHANGE: Shortcuts inside containers keep their font color when selected.
CHANGE: Installation now includes a lighter version of the online Quick Start guide (Available when pressing the F1 button or Help from the right click menu).
CHANGE: Will not undock when the mouse comes back on top of the main window (when using Animate Dock).
CHANGE: Add Reminder dialog: Hour, Minute and AM/PM fields can be manually edited as well as selected from the drop down list.
CHANGE: Container's note grabs the focus when the container is expanded.
CHANGE: Added an additional color theme.
FIX: Misc. program alerts and messages could be hidden behind the main window when docked.
FIX: Shortcut Change Size dialog could be positioned behind the main window when docked.
FIX: When docked to the RIGHT and then hidden, the border size will be shown in the correct size (the same as it is with docking to the top or left).
FIX: Shortcuts can sometimes move sporadically when adding pictures.
FIX: Selecting containers on certain coordinates may cause them to move or disappear.
FIX: Other misc. fixes and adjustments.
NEW: Drag text (e.g. web snippets, Outlook email items as well) to the workspace while holding down the shift key to automatically create reminders.
NEW: Drag text (web snippets, etc) to containers to show the text in the container's note (the text will be added to the existing one).
NEW: Select all containers and move them together by holding the key down (the same as with pictures, reminders and shortcuts).
NEW: Menu option 'Reset' to restore all shortcuts to the default size & style.
NEW: Menu option 'Collapse Now' under the Dock Menu to immediately dock the window (The same as when using the Esc key).
NEW: Added an additional color/wallpaper theme.
CHANGE: Changed container selection to a much cleaner one and some graphic bugs have been fixed.
CHANGE: Containers remain selected when they are shrunk and expanded.
CHANGE: There is now half a second delay before the window undocks. You can also click the docking border to immediately make the window visible again.
CHANGE: Smaller window border when hidden at the top and left parts of the screen (uncheck the Drops Shadow option for an even smaller one).
CHANGE: Folded containers unfold on OLE drag (the same as with shrunken containers).
CHANGE: Docking menu indicates what corner of the screen the window will collapse to (left, right or top).
CHANGE: Folded container unfolds when the note icon is clicked.
CHANGE: +A selects all text inside a container's note.
FIX: Shortcut selection changing shortcuts color and can make shortcuts disappear until reselected.
FIX: Now able to drag files or text to containers when the note is visible.
FIX: Snooze when reminder is set to noon.
FIX: Missing keyboard access keys for buttons.
FIX: Inconsistent tab order on some dialogs.
FIX: Picture drag icon.
Other misc. minor changes.
NEW: Added new commands to the floating toolbar: Quickly open the Properties dialog, save the workspace and toggle transparency (added keyboard shortcut: F9).
NEW: Select different themes via the Properties window: Matching colors and wallpaper. Comes with 7 different themes and the option to create additional ones.
NEW: Added 'Refresh on Expand & Unfold' menu option for Folder Link containers to automatically refresh the container with any new files when the container is expanded or unfolded.
CHANGE: The background picture is visible through the transparent region of shortcut icons. This gives the workspace a much cleaner look when using detailed background pictures.
CHANGE: There is now a 2 second delay before shrinking back an expanded container after selecting shortcuts or selecting the container. This allows you to keep selected shortcuts without losing the selection when the mouse leaves the container.
CHANGE: Smoother slide (Animate dock).
CHANGE: Will stop the docking if the mouse cursor returns to the main window (Animate Dock).
CHANGE: Will not automatically dock on startup only when the mouse focuses on a different window.
CHANGE: You can now delete files from the hard disk in Folder Link containers in bulk.
CHANGE: When dragging text (e.g. web snippets) the container's note name is now set to: "Text Snippet".
FIX: Crash when dragging invalid pictures from the web browser and holding down the key.
FIX: Container placed at the workspace borders prevents undocking.
FIX: Sending key presses to the main window when the floating toolbar is visible.
FIX: Selection rectangle remained visible.
FIX: Will ignore the 'Esc' key if a shortcut is dragged/moved across the workspace.
Other misc. changes and fixes.
NEW: You can now select the default font for shortcuts on the workspace (new option under the Properties window - F4).
CHANGE: The shortcut mini tool bar is now using new style and colors.
CHANGE: Shortcut icon is inverted when the shortcut is moved/dragged.
FIX: Window will not dock after using the toolbar to add objects.
FIX: Reminder could be created inside a container.
FIX: Toolbar disappears when moved and selecting the Add File and Dir shortcut buttons.
FIX: When changing the default colors via the Properties window, the container's icon disappeared until the program was restarted.
There should be no problems, but just to be on the safe side: If you're updating from previous versions you should backup the Containers folder and the SideSlide.ini file before applying update.
NEW: Keep the layout of selected objects (shortcuts, reminders and pictures) when dragging a single item and holding the key down.
NEW: Sort selected shortcuts Ascending/Descending (A to Z and Z to A).
NEW: 'Add New' toolbar available when clicking an empty place on the workspace. Use the toolbar to quickly add new objects.
NEW: 4 different color reminder pop-up windows and reminder labels.
NEW: Connecting line indicator when moving shortcuts.
NEW: Menu option to ignore all changes and revert back to the previously saved workspace.
NEW: Drag and drop text. You can use this option to quickly save web snippets when dragging text from your web browser to the docked window.
NEW: New add/subtract 10 minutes buttons on the Add Reminder window.
NEW: Added edit command when the reminder pop-up window is shown - Allows you to quickly reschedule the reminder.
NEW: Menu command 'Clear Reminders' to the settings menu.
NEW: New color themes available under the Display Properties window.
CHANGE: Smaller reminder labels.
CHANGE: Verdana is now the default font used for all objects.
CHANGE: Reminder tooltip also shows the date and time.
CHANGE: Multiple reminders are displayed in separate reminder pop-up windows.
CHANGE: Reminder pop-up windows will not steal the focus and can be switched to using Alt+Tab.
CHANGE: Reminder delete confirmation is affected by the global 'Delete Confirmation' setting.
CHANGE: Menu command "Start All Shortcuts" will not be visible when the container is empty.
CHANGE: Reminder pop-up window default button is now 'Snooze'.
CHANGE: Menu order and names.
CHANGE: Will only save the workspace on exit and when manually triggered via the new 'Save Workspace' menu option (F8).
CHANGE: Shortcut mini-toolbar is movable and will remain in place after choosing a command.
CHANGE: Added default 'shrink' icon to new containers.
CHANGE: Shortcut mini toolbar colors are shown using the default container colors instead of the workspace (or container) background foreground colors.
CHANGE: Removed 'http' from the Add URL dialog - 'http' will be shown, selected, in the text box.
CHANGE: Different object alignment: when an object is moved beyond the workspace right border; the entire object will be shown. This allows alignment of shortcuts to the right using the key.
CHANGE: Shortcuts dragged & dropped from the Windows Explorer are sorted alphabetically.
CHANGE: Installation now includes a 'Create a shortcut in the Startup group' option to start SideSlide with Windows.
FIX: Did not save and reloaded multi-line reminders.
FIX: Shortcuts will no longer 'flicker' on selection.
FIX: Many misc. fixes and changes when using the containers 'Capture' (nested containers) setting.
FIX: System tray menu remained visible when a command was not selected.
MANY other misc. graphic changes, bug fixes and so forth...
NEW: Reminders! You can now add multiple reminders to the workspace.
NEW: Docking function revised: Compatible docking - Docking acts the same as with any other toolbar, sidebar, etc.
NEW: Place shrunken containers at the bottom part of the workspace: With the current version, you can easily expand and access containers from any part of the workspace (left, right, top and bottom).
NEW: Menu option to immediately create a new note (New >> Note or +).
NEW: Added an additional original wallpaper (located in the program's directory).
CHANGE: The main window will not steal the focus when the mouse cursor is over, only when called by the global only or clicked on with the mouse.
CHANGE: Added 'Dock' menu to Settings menu.
CHANGE: Requires confirmation when selecting 'Start All Shortcuts'.
CHANGE: 'Esc' key shrinks back expanded containers and then docks the window.
FIX: Bug that was introduced in the previous version when the window did not always "undock" without the need to click on the workspace or to change back to a different window.
FIX: 'Esc' key on start always docked the main window to the left.
FIX: Container will no longer shrink back after being folded.
FIX: Other misc. minor graphic fixes.
NEW: Added Keyboard Accessibility:
Global Hotkey: (enable/disable from the Settings menu):
Use the [Windows Key] + [S] to show/hide, dock/undock the workspace - This new global hotkey functionality makes SideSlide's shortcuts accessible using the keyboard alone:
Scroll through all shortcuts across the workspace or within containers by pressing the A-Z, 1-9 keys consecutively: The current shortcut will be selected and shown at the center of the workspace.
Launch shortcuts using the Enter key.
Fold/Unfold, Shrink/Expand containers using the Space Bar button
FIX: Program shuts down properly and saves the workspace when terminated.
FIX: Aligns containers before checking if they are close to the workspace edge.
FIX: Could not start hidden (always showed main window).
Other misc. Graphic changes.
NEW: Containers can now be expanded to both sides, left and right, and can now be placed on the right side of the workspace (also works when using the 'Capture containers' option).
CHANGE: Additional installation containers.
CHANGE: Cleaner menu: Menu options renamed, reorganized and options removed from the Display Properties window.
FIX: When a container is expanded and moved passed the workspace left border, it can disappear when shrunk.
FIX: Will not dock back when selecting container icons.
FIX: Misc. minor fixes.
NEW: Menu option to start shortcuts using Double-Click (also affects shortcut selections) - This is now the default mode.
NEW: Picture Right click menu options:
'Replace Picture': Switch pictures while retaining size and location.
'Bring Forward' / 'Send to Back': Change the picture Z-order in relation to other pictures and containers.
CHANGE: New Dock Window icon.
CHANGE: Mouse pointer changes to Arrow when the key is pressed (when using 'click to launch').
FIX: Saves custom shortcut colors when changing container's colors (without moving the shortcuts).
FIX: Will reappear if docked and the mouse pointer is over a picture close to the window borders.
FIX: Lock icon was visible when a container is selected and not moved (Lock Editing).
Other misc. graphic changes and fixes.
NEW: Properties window option: Drop Shadow - Drops shadow under the program's windows.
NEW: Added Launch Confirmation for shortcuts (Shortcut Properties dialog).
CHANGE: Drag shortcuts over a container's label to unfold the container.
FIX: Other misc. minor graphic adjustments.
NEW: Mouse over a container's label when folded or shrunk shows a list of the shortcuts inside.
NEW: Double-Click to fold and unfold containers. If Fold on Click is selected the last unfolded container will fold back.
CHANGE: New default installation containers.
CHANGE: Responds better to system shut down - Can also be closed using Alt+F4.
CHANGE: Verify Shortcuts menu command prompts for each shortcut before removing it.
CHANGE: Dragging a file from explorer to create a shortcut over a shrunk container will cause the container to expand.
Other Misc. minor changes.
NEW: Quickly suspend shortcut and container alignment by holding down the Ctrl key when moving objects across the workspace.
NEW: New menu option: Fold on Click - Auto fold the last unfolded container when starting a shortcut.
NEW: Menu command 'Animate Dock' : Slide the window when docking (when it is docked back).
CHANGE: Dock-back (to a screen corner) time will take a second longer when the mouse leaves the main window (when the main window loses its focus it will dock immediately).
CHANGE: Shortcut mini toolbar is shown when a shortcut is selected using the Ctrl key.
FIX: When deleting a file from a Folder Link container, it will reappear if another shortcut is moved without the container being refreshed.
FIX: Refreshing Folder Link containers did not remove all shortcuts when changing the Folder Link to a different folder.
Other misc. minor changes and adjustments.
NEW: Major changes to moving icons on the workspace and between containers (see Quick Start Guide and Tips list for more).
NEW: Menu command "Start All Shortcuts": Start all shortcuts within a container.
CHANGE: Cross pointer on select.
CHANGE: Container selection.
CHANGE: Notification if file/dir can't be deleted from a Folder Link container.
FIX: Disallow container resizing when editing is locked.
FIX: Shortcut mini-toolbar deleted on Clear Workspace.
FIX: Fix for Copy/Paste shortcuts operations.
FIX: Prevent sizing to a non-sizable window size.
FIX: Right Click on title bar.
FIX: Container doesn't shrink back when dragging a shortcut and then dropping it on the workspace instead.
FIX: Container doesn't shrink back when dragging shortcuts between containers.
FIX: Mouse pointer when dragging shortcuts.
FIX: Clear zoom icons on shrink.
FIX: Verify Shortcuts menu command after removing shortcuts.
FIX: Selection within containers is now the same as selecting shortcuts on the workspace.
NEW: Added ability to lock editing and prevent accidental changes to the workspace.
NEW: Change color and bold font in bulk for all selected shortcuts (via the shortcut mini-toolbar).
FIX: Shortcut mini-toolbar alignment fix.
FIX: Shortcut Properties dialog check boxes fix.
FIX: Choosing custom colors (Global, containers and shortcuts) could cause the program to crash.
FIX: Adding invalid pictures.
CHANGE: URL Icons/shortcuts now behave in the same way as normal file/directory shortcuts.
CHANGE: URL shortcuts are unique across the workspace (you can drag from container to container, but not create copies of URL shortcuts).
CHANGE: Alignment extended when shortcut is close to container's edges.
CHANGE: Shortcuts remain selected on move.
CHANGE: Toggle Selection is now 'Invert Selection' and will affect all containers and shortcuts.
CHANGE: Shortcuts and containers are now deleted separately (selected Shortcuts OR selected Containers).
CHANGE: Zoom-In, Zoom-Out and Set Size buttons remain visible.
CHANGE: Zoom In/Out and Set Size buttons appear to be 'clicked'.
CHANGE: Shortcut selection is canceled when editing a single shortcut properties.
FIX: Arranging shortcuts.
FIX: Saving correct colors for custom and normal color shortcuts (when exiting the program).
FIX: Changing global foreground colors (via the Properties dialog) will not affect custom colors selected for shortcuts.
Other misc. changes.